Fire destroys electronics godown in Mahipalpur

Police said the estimated cost of the appliances that were destroyed in the fire is yet to be ascertained.

By: Express News Service | New Delhi | Published:December 6, 2014 1:18 am

A fire broke out in an electric appliances godown in Mahipalpur, gutting gadgets worth thousands of rupees. The incident was reported on Friday evening from Tata Telco lane where a Tata Motors showroom is located.

Thirty-two fire tenders were rushed to the spot and the fire was brought under control within half an hour, Fire department officials said. Four loaders who were working on the second floor of the building were trapped, but people in the area helped rescue them. No casualties were reported, Fire department officials said.

“The fire started from the godown of an e-appliance store which stocks electronic appliances meant for dispatch. It seems that the cardboard in the basement caught fire from a short circuit. Since aluminium and copper wires and other inflammable substances were stocked in the godown, the fire spread. The guard of the godown saw smoke coming from the basement and raised the alarm. He informed the manager and alerted the Fire department,” a senior police officer said.

“People from adjacent showrooms came to help douse the fire and also helped four loaders out of the building. No one was injured in the incident,” a police officer said.

Police said the estimated cost of the appliances that were destroyed in the fire is yet to be ascertained.

“We have registered a case and ordered an enquiry into the matter. Prima facie, it seems that a short circuit caused the fire. But nothing has been established,” a senior police officer said.

Video of the day

For all the latest Cities News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results