Fire broke out in the first floor of NIIT centre in Hamilton House, Connaught Place early on Monday morning. The fire spread to a gym on the floor above the computer centre. Police said the fire has been doused and no casualties have been reported.
According to police and fire fighters, the fire had started in NIIT’s library on the first floor from where the fire spread to the rearmost end touching Rama House. Initially, there was confusion since the fire control room had got a call reporting fire in Rama House. When they reached the spot they realised the fire had started from the NIIT centre in Hamilton House.
The fire also spread to Fitness First gym on the floor above NIIT centre. A call to the Fire control room was made at around 7:15 am and around 10 fire tenders reached the spot. By around 11:00 am, 20 firetenders were in operation.
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
When smoke was first discovered early in the morning, around 6 persons who were working out in the gym around the time quickly evacuated the building. Nobody was injured or trapped, however.
The fire had not spread to the FabIndia and Starbucks coffee outlets just below NIIT centre. Water from the firetenders, however, had seeped into the shops.
The owner of a telecom company said that open wires to all air conditioners in the building might be the cause behind the fire. If one of the wires had a short circuit, all the other wires would catch it since they are all open. Morever, most shops draw electricity in excess of their permitted limit which might cause the meters to overload and the wires to catch fire.
Neither police nor the fire control officials have detected the exact cause of the fire. Though police officials are guessing a spark or short circuit in electronic devices in NIIT could have led to the fire. The NIIT centre was open to students from 8:30 am onwards.