Fire broke out in the first floor of NIIT centre in Hamilton House, Connaught Place early on Monday morning. The fire spread to a gym on the floor above the computer centre. Police said the fire has been doused and no casualties have been reported.
According to police and fire fighters, the fire had started in NIIT’s library on the first floor from where the fire spread to the rearmost end touching Rama House. Initially, there was confusion since the fire control room had got a call reporting fire in Rama House. When they reached the spot they realised the fire had started from the NIIT centre in Hamilton House.
The fire also spread to Fitness First gym on the floor above NIIT centre. A call to the Fire control room was made at around 7:15 am and around 10 fire tenders reached the spot. By around 11:00 am, 20 firetenders were in operation.
When smoke was first discovered early in the morning, around 6 persons who were working out in the gym around the time quickly evacuated the building. Nobody was injured or trapped, however.
The fire had not spread to the FabIndia and Starbucks coffee outlets just below NIIT centre. Water from the firetenders, however, had seeped into the shops.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
The owner of a telecom company said that open wires to all air conditioners in the building might be the cause behind the fire. If one of the wires had a short circuit, all the other wires would catch it since they are all open. Morever, most shops draw electricity in excess of their permitted limit which might cause the meters to overload and the wires to catch fire.
Neither police nor the fire control officials have detected the exact cause of the fire. Though police officials are guessing a spark or short circuit in electronic devices in NIIT could have led to the fire. The NIIT centre was open to students from 8:30 am onwards.