FIR filed over screening of banned Dec 16 gangrape documentary in Delhi

Independent filmmaker Ketan Dixit had allegedly held a screening of the controversial documentary.

By: Press Trust of India | New Delhi | Published: March 13, 2015 6:10 pm
december 16 gangrape, nirbhaya gangrape A trial court had restrained the media from broadcasting or publishing the interview of Mukesh Singh. (Source: Express Archive)

Delhi Police on Friday registered an FIR in connection with the screening of India’s Daughter, a banned documentary based on the December 16, 2012, gangrape, in south Delhi’s Sant Ravi Dass camp area. The FIR was registered under section 188 of IPC (disobedience to order duly promulgated by public servant) at R K Puram Police Station and an investigation has been launched to probe the matter.

Independent filmmaker Ketan Dixit and some of his associates had allegedly held a screening of the controversial documentary in Sant Ravi Dass camp where the accused in the gangrape case used to live.

“Nobody has been named in the FIR so far. Police have launched the investigation in connection with the screening of this documentary,” Delhi police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat said.

Share This Article
Share
Related Article

Sources said that those behind the screening can soon be questioned in this connection but police may refrain from arresting them.

A trial court on March 4 had banned until further orders the broadcast of the interview of December 16, 2012 gangrape convict Mukesh Singh, conducted in July 2013 inside Tihar jail here.

Earlier, a trial court had restrained the media from broadcasting or publishing the interview of Mukesh Singh after Delhi Police had registered an FIR in this regard and moved the court seeking restraint.

The Information and Broadcasting Ministry had also issued an advisory to all television channels not to broadcast it. The victim, a physiotherapy student, was gang-raped and assaulted with an iron rod after she boarded an unregistered private bus to go home after watching a movie with a male friend on December 16, 2012. Thirteen days later, she died due to the injuries inflicted upon her at a Singapore hospital where she was airlifted for treatment.

Mukesh, along with three others, was convicted and sentenced to death in September 2013 for the gangrape and murder of the 23-year-old victim.

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App

  1. B
    bonku
    Mar 13, 2015 at 6:53 pm
    That mive protest during Nirbhaya rape case was basically organised by few political parties (mainly AAP) and student unions who are agitated during that IAC (India Against Corruption) movement and needed that excuse to vent frustration. But ground reality is India, as a country, is still oblivious to such cases. These are just "small incidents" that people living there must accept and they will accept. Cowards find solace in ignorance and collective stupidity, besides numbers. Death of that Kolkata Park street r@pe victim or the more brutal (than Nirbhaya) r@pe of a 6 year of daughter (check TOI today) are no eye brainer for Indian "intellectuals" and "liberal". Cheers.....
    (0)(0)
    Reply
    1. K
      Kaliyug
      Mar 13, 2015 at 5:49 pm
      Why is the BJP government so miffed about the movie on the rape that happened? It would be better for the government to spend its time and resources on making sure, the accused are punished by death for the gory crime in a speedy manner. Women in India are feeling unsafe and the government has been negligent in providing safety to them, whether it is the chain snatcher or the man traveling in the women's compartment in a train, they all make women feel unsafe. Let the movie just go viral, by trying to impose a ban you have increased its market value.
      (0)(0)
      Reply