Delhi Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung said on Monday that the possibility of forming a government “in this Assembly itself” was still being explored.
Speaking to The Indian Express, he said, “People come to me in groups from time to time to suggest ways of forming a government in this Assembly itself, and it would be only fair to give them a chance. There have been two elections here in the past six months and another election would stop the normal administration from functioning… Elections are also an expensive process.”
He, however, said he “could not comment” on the Congress and BJP’s statements that it was upto him to call fresh elections. “The Constitution is my guide on this. I will call elections the moment I am convinced that there is no possibility of any government being formed,” he said.
With no elected government in place, the Delhi Assembly is currently in suspended animation. No political group has claimed a majority since AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal resigned from the Chief Minister’s post in February this year, after just 48 days in office.
A five-member Constitution Bench of the Supreme Court is set to take up the case, following the AAP’s petition stating that the Delhi Assembly must be dissolved and fresh elections should be held. Meanwhile, asked if the NDA government had indicated that he should resign, Jung said, “I have not been ‘nudged’ or got a phone call or anything. I do not see myself as a political appointee and have no problem with the change in government. I have not been pushed by anyone, so I continue to function as I did when I joined.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016