The Delhi Election Commission on Tuesday slapped a showcause notice on yoga guru Ramdev for violating the model code of conduct for holding a yoga mahotsav at the Ramlila Grounds on Sunday.
The notice questions the fact that Ramdev’s yoga congregation was addressed by BJP’s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
Besides Ramdev, the notice was also issued to the organisers of the yoga camp. Chief Election Commissioner Vijay Dev said the EC issued the notices after scrutinising the video footage of the event.
“Ramdev and organisers of yoga mahotsav have been issued showcause notices by the Delhi Election Commission for using the platform for a political activity without prior permission from the authorities. The video footage of the event has been carefully examined by the officials. The organisers and Ramdev were found to be involved in violation of the model code,” he said.
Dev said Modi was not sent a showcause notice as “no violation by the BJP leader was observed in the footage”. DC North, Mona Purthi said Ramdev has been given time till March 27 to file his reply to the notice.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Ramdev’s spokesperson Tijarawala said they were yet to receive the EC notice, and said they did not believe they have violated the model code of conduct. “It was the largest yoga mahotsav in the world and Modiji was there as a practitioner of yoga. Modi, like Ramdev, believes that yoga is something that connects us with the world,” Tijarawala said.
In Sunday’s yoga mahotsav, Ramdev had asked his supporters to help bring a “good leader with good intentions” to power.