The Delhi Election Commission on Tuesday slapped a showcause notice on yoga guru Ramdev for violating the model code of conduct for holding a yoga mahotsav at the Ramlila Grounds on Sunday.
The notice questions the fact that Ramdev’s yoga congregation was addressed by BJP’s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
Besides Ramdev, the notice was also issued to the organisers of the yoga camp. Chief Election Commissioner Vijay Dev said the EC issued the notices after scrutinising the video footage of the event.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
“Ramdev and organisers of yoga mahotsav have been issued showcause notices by the Delhi Election Commission for using the platform for a political activity without prior permission from the authorities. The video footage of the event has been carefully examined by the officials. The organisers and Ramdev were found to be involved in violation of the model code,” he said.
Dev said Modi was not sent a showcause notice as “no violation by the BJP leader was observed in the footage”. DC North, Mona Purthi said Ramdev has been given time till March 27 to file his reply to the notice.
Ramdev’s spokesperson Tijarawala said they were yet to receive the EC notice, and said they did not believe they have violated the model code of conduct. “It was the largest yoga mahotsav in the world and Modiji was there as a practitioner of yoga. Modi, like Ramdev, believes that yoga is something that connects us with the world,” Tijarawala said.
In Sunday’s yoga mahotsav, Ramdev had asked his supporters to help bring a “good leader with good intentions” to power.