Putting an end to the uncertainty faced by BTech students following the rollback of the four-year undergraduate programme (FYUP), the University Grants Commission (UGC) on Sunday asked Delhi University (DU) to continue with the four-year BTech programme only for students admitted last year.
It also asked DU to ensure that colleges, which admitted students to the four-year BTech programme, obtain approval from regulatory bodies such as UGC and AICTE to ensure that the students are not put to any disadvantage.
“Four-year BTech programmes in Computer Science, Electronics, Food Technology, Instrumentation Electronics and Polymer Science and which are covered under Section 22 of the UGC Act, with respect to BTech, may continue only for students already admitted under academic year 2013-14,” the UGC statement stated. The UGC was, however, silent on the Psychological Science course.
Over 2,500 students are enrolled in six BTech programmes — Computer Science, Electronics, Food Technology, Polymer Science, Instrumentation and Electronics and Psychological Science.
On Sunday, hundreds of students from BTech and BMS courses protested outside the residence of Minister of Human Resource Development Smriti Irani, demanding their courses not be scrapped.
The UGC is understood to have assured BMS students that it would decide whether to continue the course, and, if required, how to modify the present four years of study to three years for them.
The UGC directive is in line with the recommendation of its Standing Committee, which has suggested that the programme should continue in the four-year format for students already admitted so that there is no “prejudice” caused to their interest.
Students also threatened that if the varsity does not take care of their interest, they are ready to move court.
Students who missed registration deadline get another chance at DU
With the first cut-off list for DU undergraduate admissions slated to be published on college websites late Monday evening, students who could not apply to DU earlier have another chance now.
Bringing relief to applicants who were left in the lurch because of the row over the four-year undergraduate programme (FYUP), the university administration announced that admissions would begin on Tuesday.
“All candidates who have already registered online/offline through the University for the current academic year will now be eligible for admission to all courses, if they meet the eligibility criteria,” a university notification read.
“Those who have not registered will be required to fill the university registration form on the payment of Rs 100 (General/OBC) and Rs 50 (SC/ST/PwD), along with the college admission form in case they meet the cut-off and qualify for admission. This registration made in a college will be valid in case the candidate takes admission in another college/course in the subsequent cut-off lists,” the notification stated.
Nearly three lakh students had been affected by the FYUP row, with some of them taking admission in other universities. Pragya Malhotra, a DU aspirant from Jamshedpur, took admission in a Mumbai college.
But now that DU has reverted to the three-year format and is offering applicants another chance, Malhotra is reconsidering her decision. She said if she gets a good college and a good course in DU, she will forgo her admission in the Mumbai college. “It doesn’t matter if the course is for three or four years, I will study in DU if I meet the cut-offs,” she said.
For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now