With new guidelines for nursery admission seekers from the economically weaker section (EWS) confusing schools and putting on hold lists of such applicants,the Delhi High Court on Thursday said schools that had already published selection lists before the court order were not required to revisit these.
We have been reading in todays newspapers that there is some confusion regarding admission under the EWS category. Those schools,which have already have published their lists,also have doubts. We think these admissions should not be disturbed. Otherwise,many children who have already been granted admission will be out, said a division bench of Acting Chief Justice A K Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw.
Taking cognizance of the media reports,the court said it did not want to raise a hue and cry over its directive.
The courts observations came as Ashok Agarwal,counsel for NGO Social Jurist,prepared to argue another matter regarding dismal conditions at a school in New Jafrabad,East Delhi.
Since Agarwal had intervened on January 31 in the EWS admission matter and brought to the notice of the court a 2007 judicial order on the basis of which distance criteria was re-defined,the bench put forth its opinion to him.
But Agarwal did not seem to agree with the courts observation and said he favoured a uniform policy for all private schools so that no EWS child feels disadvantaged.
The court,on Thursday evening,issued its detailed order on the EWS neighbourhood criterion.
Yes,the courts observations are significant considering that some schools had already published their EWS lists. Ideally,all schools should now restructure their lists in terms of the court order. Complete clarity can come only if the court passes a formal order on this issue too if a petition reaches the bench, Agarwal told Newsline.