Four hundred incidents of fire were reported across the city on Diwali — the highest in the past 10 years.
While no casualties were reported due to the fires, two persons including a five-year-old boy were killed when firecrackers went off in stainless steel glasses and they were hit by the shards.
In the first incident, a resident of Bhalswa Dairy area put a firecracker inside a stainless steel glass and ignited it. The glass burst when the firecracker went off and pieces from it hit five-year-old Lucky Sahu and his seven-year-old brother Lakshya.
They were taken to the hospital, where doctors declared Lucky dead.
In a similar incident in Swaroop Nagar, a 23-year-old man died after a firecracker burst in a stainless steel glass and the shards hit him in the abdomen and the leg.
- Bawana fire LIVE UPDATES: CM Kejriwal announces Rs 5 lakh compensation for kin of victims, 1 lakh to injured
- 190 fire calls on Diwali, cloth godown gutted in east Delhi
- Delhi fire department gets over 200 calls on Diwali, big blaze in cloth godown
- Cases of burns caused by firecrackers coming down in city: Doctors
- Fire calls,burn injuries fewer this Diwali
- Diwali turns dark for many as they suffer burns,eye injuries
In another fire, a spare parts godown in Kashmiri Gate was completely gutted in the evening. As many as 22 fire tenders were rushed to the spot and it took them two hours to bring the blaze under control.
Another major fire broke out at a clothes showroom in Gandhi Nagar. Despite 20 fire tenders being sent to the spot, the showroom was damaged by the fire.
At least 290 fire related calls were received at the Delhi Fire Service’s (DFS) control room till Wednesday midnight while last year, 220 such calls were received on Diwali.
DFS officials claimed that they had anticipated the situation and planned strategies accordingly. According to the officials of the DFS, from Wednesday midnight till 8 am on Thursday, the department received as many as 128 calls.
Usually, the period between 6 pm and 9 pm is considered crucial, when the highest number of calls are received. But the trend changed this year as 151 calls were received between 9 pm and midnight, said officials. No injuries were reported in any of the fire incidents.
A record number of incidents were reported this year, said A K Sharma, director of DFS. “Despite so many awareness campaigns to promote safety during the festival, such incidents still take place,” he said.
The number of burns cases was however low this Diwali compared to previous years, though doctors said the actual figures will be known 48 hours later.
At Safdarjung Hospital, nearly 200 cases were recorded on Wednesday and Thursday. Of these, only 112 patients reported to the emergency ward on Diwali night. Hospital authorities said this is half the number of cases reported last year.
Medical superintendent Dr A K Rai said, “We have already seen more cases today, and we expect figures from the next three days to better indicate the trends. But cases seen on Diwali were half those reported last year.”
At Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, 100 patients reported to the burns emergency ward, of which three had to be admitted with 30 per cent burns. At Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan Hospital, around 30 patients reported to the burns ward on Diwali, and around the same number on Thursday.