In July, 23-year-old Anish Kumar moved to Delhi from Bhukana village in Rajasthan to take up a job with the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC). A little more than three months later, his body was sent back to the village.
On Thursday afternoon, Kumar succumbed to burn injuries he received after allegedly being electrocuted during maintenance work at the Faridabad receiving sub-station on the intervening night of October 28-29.
He was a staff member in the DMRC’s electrical department, and had joined work on July 27. Based on a complaint from the family, police have lodged an FIR at Surajkund police station.
A DMRC official said, “Prima facie, he (Kumar) touched a high tension wire leading to electrocution. A detailed investigation by the EIG (electrical inspector general), nominated by the government, is underway to establish the actual sequence of events leading to this unfortunate loss of a young life.
Dr Mangu Singh, managing director, DMRC, has ordered a review of the procedures on working in sub-stations.”
Kumar was admitted to Safdarjung Hospital and was shifted to Sir Ganga Ram Hospital on Thursday afternoon.
“He was brought to casualty in a critical condition and was gasping for breath. He had 40 per cent burn injuries, mainly on the face and chest. He died within half an hour,” said Dr Mahesh Mangal, chairman, department of plastic surgery, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital.
On Friday evening, the family reached their village to perform Kumar’s last rites. He is survived by his parents and two siblings.
Over the phone, Vikas Dhama, a relative of Kumar, claimed, “He was still in the training period at DMRC and had not yet received his ‘competency certificate’. He was supposed to just watch his seniors perform tasks… he was not supposed to climb on top of that pole. This is gross negligence on part of the DMRC.”
Kumar’s family alleged that the DMRC, despite claiming to be a “world-class organisation”, had not provided “any help or support” to them. The family also vowed to “fight for justice”.