Delhi: 48-year-old beaten up for ‘criticising demonetisation’

A case was registered under IPC Sections 323 (punishment for voluntarily causing hurt) and 341 (punishment for wrongful restraint).

Written by Abhishek Angad | New Delhi | Published:December 19, 2016 12:41 am

A 48-year-old man was allegedly beaten up for criticising the Centre’s demonetisation scheme in southeast Delhi’s Jaitpur area, police said. The man, Lallan Singh Khushwaha, received head injuries on December 15, for making comments against demonetisation while he was on his way to buy a television, police said. The accused, identified as Ashiq, was later arrested.

Kushwaha, a painter, said his children wanted a television set and he went to buy one. “I was not standing in the ATM queue, but I saw people standing and I felt that only poor people are suffering. So I criticised the demonetisaton scheme. Suddenly, one person at a departmental store started abusing me verbally. When I asked him the reason, he started hitting me and asked how I could criticise the PM. Soon after, others joined him. I sustained injuries on my head and started bleeding,” said Kushwaha.

Watch what else is in the news

He added that he was spared only when some people intervened. “I was taken to a hospital, where I received stitches on my head. I still feel that what I said was not wrong. They also took Rs 6,000 from me. I had to take a loan for my treatment. I am losing out on daily wages as I am unable to work. I don’t know how I will run my family,” said Khushwaha.

For all the latest Cities News, download Indian Express App

1. J
    Jarto likar
    Dec 19, 2016 at 5:45 pm
    Yes of course every individual people of the country have the right to speech. But their is many way to expressed own view. lt;br/gt;How did Mr. L S Khushwaha exactly expressed his view I don't know. But what ever his way to expressed may be the second person should always understand his feeling and help him to understand the reason of demolished of country currency.lt;br/gt;Betting would not be the right path of any problem.lt;br/gt;Demolished of old currency is not a problem at all.lt;br/gt;If possible more and more currency of lower value should be provide.lt;br/gt;That day to day requirements could be done easily.lt;br/gt;It's my points of view.
    1. N
      Nixon Augustin
      Dec 18, 2016 at 11:53 pm
      Though Modi delight to call Bihar/UP jungle Raj, Modi's rule is real jungle Raj. he brought it to national level.
        Kapil
        Dec 20, 2016 at 4:20 am
        This is what PM said in his last speech he welcome suggestions of EC on political parties donations
          anonymous
          Dec 19, 2016 at 10:15 pm
          anpad , gadhe
            anonymous
            Dec 19, 2016 at 10:17 pm
            anpad , padai kar le thodi
              ashutosh
              Dec 20, 2016 at 7:13 am
              Under modi rule , no one is allowed to express his views ,,, daily wage workers have two options whether they stand in atm que or earn instead...
              1. J
                JK
                Dec 19, 2016 at 1:08 am
                As was said in the Raja Sabha this is nothing but looting of the common man.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Where do you have a situation in which one cannot take out their own money!!lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Time to move your savings into Gold and Silver which NO government can demonetize because unlike paper which has no value Gold has intrinsic value.
                  Proud Bhakt
                  Dec 19, 2016 at 4:41 am
                  All those who criticize demonetization , should be beaten mercilessly .