Manju, a mother of four, had been living in Fatehpur Jharsa village for the last seven years. Her husband set up a small ironing shop in Sector-47 and she worked as a maid in one of the high-rises adjacent to the village.
Today she has no roof, water and nothing to feed her children, two of whom were born in the village.
“Our livelihood has been taken. Our houses have been destroyed. Everything we owned has been demolished. With no clothes, food or water, where do we go?” Manju said.
- Fire at Garib Nagar slums: Demolition drive ordered by Bombay HC, will continue, says BMC
- Swiss couple attacked in Agra: Police identify one of the accused, no arrest yet
- Demolition Drive: Residents, police clash in Gurgaon, 35 injured
- Haryana: Violence over demolition drive, more than 50 injured
- Jhuggi-dwellers clash with cops, stall HUDA demolition drive
- Violence during demolition drive: 3 cops,15 villagers injured
Like her, hundreds of residents of Fatehpur Jharsa have to start their lives afresh after the Haryana Urban Development Authority (HUDA) razed the entire village of over 350 houses in a demolition drive on Friday.
This led to clashes between police and residents, with both resorting to stone-pelting.
According to Pradeep Singh Kashyap, state vice-president of the Haryana Kashyap Rajput Sabha, nearly 50 people have gone missing since Friday morning. To avoid any untoward incident, Gurgaon police deployed around 100 police personnel in the village on Saturday.
Meanwhile, HUDA officials have begun constructing the road for which the village was razed. Officials said they did not want to wait any longer as they feared the residents would encroach upon the land again.
The Authority brought in about a dozen earth-moving machines and other equipment, including dumpers, road rollers and tractors to lay roads and fence the area.
Estate Officer-II Tarun Pawaria, who headed the demolition drive and was injured in the violence said, “The land belongs to HUDA. Where is the question of any order or court notice? HUDA has been trying the rehabilitate the residents, but they have not been co-operative.”
The EO also said that in 2011, the authority tried to demolish the village. Even then the residents got violent and many were injured after which the drive was aborted.
“For the next three years we have been trying to reach a consensus with them and have offered to rehabilitate them. Ashiana flats in Sector 47 was offered to them for rehabilitation, but they denied it,” the EO said.
He also said that most of the residents were not original owners of the land.
“These plots have been illegally rented out so that the place remained encroached,” Pawaria said. The administration is still open to the rehabilitation plan provided the villagers cooperate, he said.
Meanwhile, police said police teams were deployed in the village on Friday night along with a riot control team.
“The area has been evacuated and fenced. No one is being allowed to enter the area,” a senior officer said.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (East) Deepak Saharan said, “Our team was already deployed in the night and the clearing is still on.
Hopefully the work should go on till Saturday evening. HUDA has started the fencing and the construction of road is in progress. The day has been peaceful so far.”