A four-storey warehouse collapsed after a major fire broke out on the ground floor, in west Delhi’s Mansarovar Garden Monday, fire officials said. Police said the building contained several plastic utensils and items made of thermocol. Fire officials said no casualties have been reported.
Firefighters managed to put out the blaze after three hours. However, they are expected to work till late in the night to clear the debris. According to officials of the Delhi Fire Services (DFS), they received a call about the fire around 3.45 pm. “We had categorised it as a medium-sized fire. Later, when the fire engulfed the entire building, we dispatched a total of 20 fire tenders to the spot,” deputy fire chief (DFS), Atul Garg, said.
Several traders and shop owners spotted the blaze and tried to douse it. “I was near my office when the fire began. One person was stuck inside the godown but we managed to pull him out with a rope,” Ajay, a resident, said.
As fire tenders tried to douse the blaze, the structure of the building started to weaken and it collapsed. “There was nobody inside when it collapsed. We are clearing the debris,” a DFS official said. Police are now trying to ascertain the cause of the fire. “We suspect it was a short circuit. But we have to wait for the report from DFS to estimate the cause and extent of damage to goods,” a senior police officer said.