Delhi police have planned to further investigate the inter-state kidney racket, under a special investigation team (SIT) led by an additional DCP level officer, said sources.
The racket, under which two personal secretaries of Apollo hospital’s neurologist and three outsiders were arrested, has roots in other parts of the country as well as overseas. To look into the matter, police have planned to set up an SIT which will be looked after by an additional DCP level officer, sources said.
At least five teams have already been assigned to investigate the whole racket, a source said. Three teams were sent to Uttar Pradesh, Ghaziabad and Punjab in search of recipients and two donors, sources said, are already in police custody. Their names have been withheld by police as their verification process was still on.
- ‘Recruited’ through dummy candidate racket, 15 government officials arrested by CID
- Dummy candidate racket: Documents sent to three central labs
- Delhi Apollo Hospital kidney racket: SIT gets approval to prosecute doctors
- Delhi kidney racket: One more accused arrested
- Kidney racket: 3 more arrested at the Apollo hospital in Delhi
- Delhi Police bust kidney racket across 5 states, at its centre Apollo doctor’s two assistants
Sources said police have also identified more donors from Kanpur and Kolkata, who got Rs 3 lakh each for their kidneys. Police have also traced their links to people who were in their net. A team is already in search of the kingpin who was allegedly running the racket with the help of a man based in Sri Lanka.
Delhi police have also planned to summon the Apollo hospital staff, including some senior doctors, in connection with the case. Sources said they will send notice to doctors and other staff members to join the probe. The family members of arrested accused have expressed suspision about the role of doctors and higher authorities in the racket and had demanded that their role also be looked into.