Delhi pollution: Smog cover dissipates, PM levels slightly dip

According to data provided by System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting and Research (SAFAR), the particulate matter has slightly worsened in comparison with yesterday.

By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Updated: November 8, 2016 6:16 pm
delhi, delhi pollution, delhi weather, delhi ncr smog, delhi smog, smog in delhi, delhi smoke, delhi pollution problem, delhi clean air, delhi news, india news, delhi weather, India weather Vehicles ply on smog covered Rajpath in New Delhi on Saturday. (file photo)

The thick smog cover over Delhi seems to have temporarily dissipated but there has been no change in the air pollution levels in the national capital. According to data provided by System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting and Research (SAFAR), the particulate matter has slightly worsened in comparison with yesterday. Tuesday’s figures were pegged at PM2.5 622 µgm-3, an increase of 34 µgm-3 from Monday, and PM10 808 µgm-3, down from 844 µgm-3.

WATCH VIDEO: Here’s How The Supreme Court Describe Delhi’s Air Pollution

According to a MeT department official, the visibility was recorded at 300 metres at 5.30 AM, which improved to 700 metres three hours later. Relative humidity was recorded at 77 percent at 8.30 AM. “The skies are expected to remain clear during the day. The maximum temperature is expected to hover around 28 degrees Celsius,” the official said. Yesterday, the maximum and minimum temperatures were recorded at 29.2 degrees Celsius and 14 degrees Celsius respectively.

WATCH VIDEO: NGT Raps Delhi Govt Over Air Pollution: Find Out What It Said

On Monday, Union Minister for Environment Anil Madhav Dave chaired a meeting of environment ministers from Delhi, Punjab, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh. Dave said 80 per cent of the pollution in Delhi was derived from the city itself, and the remaining 20 per cent from crop burning in neighbouring states. Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has said that farmers burning crop stubble in Haryana and Punjab seems to have a direct effect on the worsening pollution levels in Delhi. Meanwhile, New Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) workers began sprinkling water on the roads, in line with Delhi government’s measures to curb pollution rising from dust.

With PTI inputs

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now

First Published on: November 8, 2016 10:38 am
  1. L
    Lincy G
    Nov 8, 2016 at 6:18 am
    This smog problem was seen even last year around deepavali - a Hindu festival, where people use small explosive called crackers and other flammable substance which cause much pollution, why blame the poor farmers who provide food for the nation? Is the smoke from dry plant dangerous than those nasty crackers our nation blast of in the name of a festival? India is good in blame culture and the poor are always the target - very bad atude. Everyone in India knows from where these smog comes - right after deepavali intensified by the already existing industrial fumes- then why this drama?lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;If this festive method was one used by Muslims or Christians we should have seen the bad comments raised by the major potion, suppressing and condemning the minorities. Since the politicians want to get vote for the majority, they will never blame their own majority group who mess up our complete India in the name of a cow or a caste or a festival or in the name of need for equality.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;The leaders shut their mouth from banning Indians from using such pollution creating methodologies. Festivals are good and required- why not celebrate it by buying food for the less privileged, take the children and ask them to distribute new clothes to the naked. Take the family to the village and distribute sweets and sing song and dance. Are these not the right way to celebrate-- instead they go in huge mes polluting the river, throwing trash on land and polluting the air..... when will India change?lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;With this atude of not being able to accept their own fault and rectifying it, India will never develop (though it has the greatest potential in many ways) - all because of politicians with no backbone to stand up for the betterment and care for future.
    Reply