- Rahul Gandhi is the leader India needs, will be next Prime Minister: Sudheendra Kulkarni
- Bigg Boss 11 December 17 Weekend Ka Vaar written update: Hiten Tejwani gets the boot from Salman Khan's show
- ‘Dubai Duty Free’ EVC and CEO Colm McLoughlin receives honorary doctorate from Middlesex University Dubai
A DAY after a four-storey residential complex collapsed in north Delhi’s Sadar Bazaar, police said a case has been registered against two contractors and the owner of an adjoining building on charges of negligence. Police, however, said no arrests have been made so far.
Rescue operations were underway till late Saturday with the National Disaster Response Force clearing debris from the spot. A 45-year-old woman died while her daughter sustained injuries in the collapse, said police.
Eyewitness said the residential complex, which houses several flats and a godown on the ground floor, “fell like a pack of cards”.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (north) Madhur Verma said police are investigating the matter. Sources said the case was registered on the basis of a complaint by Gaurav, whose mother Vimla Devi died in the collapse.
“In his complaint, he claimed that his neighbour Bunty, along with the two contractors, Manoj and Pramod, had started reconstructing Bunty’s home 20 days ago. Due to the construction work, Gaurav claimed, the wall of his house was also damaged,” said sources.
In his complaint, he said he had told Bunty about the damage being caused to his house. But Bunty did not pay heed,
said police sources.
On the basis of Gaurav’s complaint, police said a case has been registered under sections 288 (negligent conduct with respect to pulling down or repairing buildings), 337 (causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others), 304A (causing death by negligence) and 34 of the Indian Penal Code at Sadar Bazar police station.
Sources said the area comes under the category of ‘Special Area’ of ‘Master Plan 2021’. As per the Urban Development Ministry’s plan, construction here should start only by 2021, though many people continue to build homes without legal permission, said sources.