Police will question Leena Sharma’s elder sister, Hema, said Ashutosh Singh, SP of Hoshanganbad. Singh said the cremation took place Sunday after the body was handed over to Hema, who arrived from Bangalore.
Leena’s friends, who had started a Facebook campaign to trace her, alleged Hema was a part of the conspiracy and the body should be handed over to them, not her.
- ‘Missing’ mother found dead, three held in Sitapur
- Rajasthan hacking: As accused killed and burnt, his teen nephew filmed hate-murder, say cops
- Ludhiana: Seven-year-old murdered, mother’s lover booked
- Murder cases which remain a mystery for Mohali police
- Lucknow: Father, brother held for murder of 17-year-old who had ‘affair’ with Dalit youth
- Delhi woman murdered in Madhya Pradesh: Neighbours recall bold, courteous and helpful Leena Sharma
Police custody of Leena’s uncle Pradeep Sharma, a Congress leader, and his two domestic helps ends Monday. Police may seek further remand because elaborate planning went into the murder, as evident from the way the body was buried with urea and salt, said sources.
Leena was allegedly murdered on April 29, said sources. After the death of her grandfather and mother, Leena had become the owner of 12 acres of prime land off the main road in Sohagpur, the place from where her mother and grandparents hailed. Pradeep, in his late 50s, is the cousin of Leena’s mother.