The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has been asked to consider naming Metro stations after distinguished personalities such as late M Visvesvaraya and late Durgabai Deshmukh. The proposal was mooted at a meeting chaired by Urban Development and Housing Minister M Venkaiah Naidu on Tuesday.
A senior official in the ministry said, “Several Karnataka MPs had requested that the station coming up near Karnataka Bhawan be named after M Visvesvaraya, a renowned engineer who belonged to Muddenahalli, a village in Karnataka. The name of Durgabai Deshmukh, a freedom fighter and social activist, was also mentioned for the same.”
However, the Congress criticised the move and said the convenience of the people should be given top priority. “We had also received similar demands earlier, but we did not heed them keeping in mind the convenience of the commuters of Delhi. Commuters identify stations by the name of a colony or area, not by the name of a personality,’’ DPCC spokesperson Mukesh Sharma said.
Besides, the ministry has also asked DMRC to re-examine the names of some existing Metro stations so that there is no confusion among commuters.
“This direction was given since several stations are named after areas which are actually located far from the station. For instance, Tughlaqabad is located at least five kilometres from the Tughlaqabad Metro station. But a person travelling to Tughlakabad will get off at this station because of its name,’’ an official said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
DMRC has also been asked to undertake a survey for extending the Metro rail line to Narela-Kutubgarh and Kondli. This move is important since housing projects of the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) will be coming up in Narela and Kondli.
“Many people are not interested in being allotted houses in areas such as Narela because of commuting issues. There is lack of proper public transport infrastructure there. But the extension of the Metro line to this area will change that,’’ a DDA official said.