The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has been asked to consider naming Metro stations after distinguished personalities such as late M Visvesvaraya and late Durgabai Deshmukh. The proposal was mooted at a meeting chaired by Urban Development and Housing Minister M Venkaiah Naidu on Tuesday.
A senior official in the ministry said, “Several Karnataka MPs had requested that the station coming up near Karnataka Bhawan be named after M Visvesvaraya, a renowned engineer who belonged to Muddenahalli, a village in Karnataka. The name of Durgabai Deshmukh, a freedom fighter and social activist, was also mentioned for the same.”
However, the Congress criticised the move and said the convenience of the people should be given top priority. “We had also received similar demands earlier, but we did not heed them keeping in mind the convenience of the commuters of Delhi. Commuters identify stations by the name of a colony or area, not by the name of a personality,’’ DPCC spokesperson Mukesh Sharma said.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Besides, the ministry has also asked DMRC to re-examine the names of some existing Metro stations so that there is no confusion among commuters.
“This direction was given since several stations are named after areas which are actually located far from the station. For instance, Tughlaqabad is located at least five kilometres from the Tughlaqabad Metro station. But a person travelling to Tughlakabad will get off at this station because of its name,’’ an official said.
DMRC has also been asked to undertake a survey for extending the Metro rail line to Narela-Kutubgarh and Kondli. This move is important since housing projects of the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) will be coming up in Narela and Kondli.
“Many people are not interested in being allotted houses in areas such as Narela because of commuting issues. There is lack of proper public transport infrastructure there. But the extension of the Metro line to this area will change that,’’ a DDA official said.