Delhi: Man attacked with iron rod in road rage incident

The accused, identified as Vineet Kumar, a hairdresser, was arrested and a case under relevant sections has been registered against him, police said.

By: PTI | New Delhi | Published:September 12, 2016 6:50 pm

In an incident of road rage, a lab technician working with Gurgaon’s Fortis Hospital was attacked with an iron rod when his car accidentally scraped a man’s vehicle from behind in south Delhi, police said on Monday. The victim Pradeep Chauhan, 35, was returning from Janakpuri to his home in Sangam Vihar with his wife and kids when the incident happened near Qutub Minar Metro Station last week.

The accused, identified as Vineet Kumar, a hairdresser, was arrested and a case under relevant sections has been registered against him, police said. The accused was enraged after Chauhan’s car accidentally hit Vineet’s car from behind.

“There was a jam near Qutub Minar metro station and cars were moving really slowly. When there was a red light, the owner of the car moving ahead applied emergency brakes and my husband also applied brakes. My husband’s car accidentally touched the vehicle ahead,” said Chauhan’s wife Anjana who also sustained minor injuries.

She said that the owner of the car ahead came out of his car in anger.

“Even though me and and my husband apologised and told him we are ready to pay the damages, he went back to his car and took out a rod to hit my husband. He was accompanied by his wife and kid. We were also accompanied by our two kids, who are aged 12 and 10 respectively,” said the woman.

“His wife asked him to not hit my husband but he hit my husband two-three times. When the public gathered, someone called the police and my husband was taken to the hospital,” she added.

The accused tried to flee from the spot but he was caught by the crowd and handed over to the police.

Chauhan is currently admitted to Fortis Hospital in Vasant Kunj. He sustained severe head injuries and is not in a position to talk, said his wife.

Chauhan works as a dentist in Fortis Hospital, Gurgaon and he was returning from his in-laws’ house in West Delhi when he was attacked.