Delhi: Juvenile who killed two in four months to be tried as an adult

This is the second case which will be heard by the city court under the new Juvenile Justice (JJ) Act, which allows juvenile offenders between the ages of 16 and 18 to be “tried as an adult” in case of heinous offences.

Written by Alok Singh | New Delhi | Published: July 26, 2016 4:24 am
delhi juvenile murder, juvenile murder delhi, delhi juvenile, juvenile delhi, juvenile act, delhi news, india news The juvenile allegedly murdered 65-year-old Mithlesh Jain on January 31 and made off with cash and valuables.

The juvenile who had allegedly murdered a senior citizen in south Delhi’s Lodhi Colony in January will face trial before the sessions court as an adult. The Juvenile Justice Board made the decision, taking into account the fact that the youth was a repeat offender.

This is the second case which will be heard by the city court under the new Juvenile Justice (JJ) Act, which allows juvenile offenders between the ages of 16 and 18 to be “tried as an adult” in case of heinous offences.

Police said the juvenile, an aspiring dancer, has been considered a repeat offender after he allegedly committed two “heinous” crimes within four months.

In the first case, he and a female friend had allegedly abducted and murdered a 13-year-old boy as they needed money to make it to a TV reality show.

Both were apprehended and sent to a correctional home. They were released later for their good conduct.

Four months later, the juvenile allegedly murdered 65-year-old Mithlesh Jain on January 31 and made off with cash and valuables. Police sources said the juvenile resorted to murder again for the same reason as the first time – for money to become a dancer and participate in reality TV shows.

His case was heard by the JJB after he was nabbed for murdering the senior citizen. Sources said the board found the boy was just a month away from turning 18 when he committed the second crime.

The first hearing in the sessions court was scheduled for July 23 but it did not take place as the juvenile’s lawyer was unavailable. The second hearing will take place on August 24, said a source. The hearing of the first murder case will be heard by JJB, added the source.

Last month, the Juvenile Justice Board accepted a plea to try the accused juvenile in the Mercedes hit-and-run case as an adult, making it the first case under the newly-amended Juvenile Justice Act.

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results