Delhi: He told me he wanted to do something for Tibet, then set himself on fire, says Mother

The incident took place while Tsering and his family were visiting his uncle in Dehradun. According to his family members, it took the ambulance six hours to reach Delhi.

Written by Abhishek Angad | New Delhi | Published:March 2, 2016 2:39 am
Nyima Yangzom, mother of Dorjee Tsering, suffered minor burn injuries when she tried to save him. (Express Photo: Praveen Khanna) Nyima Yangzom, mother of Dorjee Tsering, suffered minor burn injuries when she tried to save him. (Express Photo: Praveen Khanna)

Dorjee Tsering, a 16-year-old resident of Manali, allegedly set himself on fire Monday, minutes after telling his mother that he wanted to “do something for his country”, Tibet.

The incident took place while Tsering and his family were visiting his uncle in Dehradun. On Monday morning, outside his uncle’s residence, Tsering raised slogans demanding freedom for Tibet, before allegedly pouring petrol on himself and setting himself on fire.

Tsering’s mother Nyima Yangzom, who tried to help her son and put off the fire, also suffered minor burn injuries.

Tsering was rushed to the nearby hospital and later referred to Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi.

“Doctors said he has suffered 95 per cent burns. Apart from his face, he has burn injuries all over the body,” said his mother Yangzom, 59, as she sat outside the burns ward of Safdarjung Hospital, her hands wrapped in bandage.

Related Article

Yangzom said that since August last year, her son had repeatedly talked about “doing something” for their homeland.

“Once, he called me from his hostel and said he would set himself on fire. I rebuked him and said if he wanted to do something for his country, he should do so through his studies. I warned him that if he tried to do anything stupid, even I would set myself on fire,” she said.

A few days ago, her son told her that he would “disappear after February”, said Yangzom. “I had no idea he would do something like this,” she said.

In the minutes after the incident, while frantically trying to save her son, Yangzom had pushed him under a water tap. “At least his face was not burnt,” she said.

At Safdarjung Hospital, Tsering reportedly told one of his family members, “I wanted to do something for my country and I figured that I can’t do much through studies”.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now

Sundar BN
    Mar 4, 2016 at 2:00 pm
    A certain hrd min decided to do something for this country too. This person therefore produced an apparently giose display of a third grade tv hindi serial oration in Parliament. And she lied through her teeth. That's what she did for this country.
      Kohl
      Mar 10, 2016 at 7:59 pm
      ​An open Letter for Publication. ​​Dear Sir, I have heard about Dorjee Tsering who has died three days after setting himself on fire. The student Dorjee Tsering had self-immolated on Monday in Dehradun, India, while shouting "Free Tibet", according to an a​d​vocacy group based in London. The London based "Free Tibet" group tells us: "His father, Thupten, told Free Tibet's reserch partner Tibet Wach that this is a heartbreaking incident but he is proud of his son and his sacrifice for the Tibetan nation". Please let me give a short commentary about this heartbraking story about Dorjee Tsering. My name is Christian Thomas Kohl. I belong to the Tibetan Buddhist tradition since 1983. My first teacher had been Kalu Rinpoche. I have three children and two g children. I am a teacher of politics and history. I am a specialist in the history of communism. My students are 15 years old. I feel for Dorjee Tsering like he was my son or my student. I feel very sorry for him for his father and for his mother and for his brothers and sisters. I am well informed about the horrible situation of Tibet since 1959. The Chinese government is strong. The Chinese Economy is strong. The Chinese bank managers are strong. They are the ruling cl of China. The Chinese majority will not give up Tibet for geographical and economic reasons. Even a democratic China will be under the command of bank managers like in Hong Kong today, these managers will not give independence or autonomy to Tibet as the will not give independance to Hong Kong. Never. Tibet has no chance for freedom or independance or autonomy. No sacrifice for Tibet will help. No shouting "Free Tibet" will help. Every father and every mother can be proud when they have a son or a daughter alive not dead. The Tibetan potion is treated by the ruling managers of China as if they were animals. This is not only a question of communism. A democratic China will not give up Tibet because of economc interest. This is more or less well known. But no self - immolation will change this. Please, my sons and my daughters of Tibet do not self - immolate. Do not break the hearts of your mothers. I feel so sorry for Dorjee Tsering and for his mother. Christian Thomas Kohl, Freiburg
        Robert Charls
        Mar 2, 2016 at 10:25 am
        So sad is the plight of Tibet and the Tibetan people, when will it ever end. In this day and age are we so backward in resolving issues that go way back to the dark ages. History can be the past and the future can be for the children for the better it will be
        1. T
          Tenzin Tsentso
          Mar 2, 2016 at 7:35 pm
          Being a Tibetan, encountering such a big deal is so emotional.He is a small boy and the way he think of our country's situation is beyond his age.Now almost 143 has been self immolated back in Tibet. And we can say that he is the youngest. Still nothing happens because every leaders in this world are afraid of Chinese leaders. Wake up dear people lets walk to the truth door.And please support Tibet.
          1. T
            Tenzing Nima
            Mar 8, 2016 at 5:32 pm
            Rest in peace. #FreeTibet
              Prateik
              Mar 3, 2016 at 3:51 pm
              Pappu will not visit his house now.
                Rici
                Mar 4, 2016 at 12:45 pm
                What is the take of leftist criminals on this?
                  Rici
                  Mar 2, 2016 at 4:44 am
                  will dynastic prince, khujliwal etc visit his mother?