Delhi HC bans entry of heavy vehicles into Sainik Farms

“No heavy motor vehicles will be allowed to enter Sainik farms, except fire services, police services, ambulance and school buses,” said the bench of Justice Badar Durrez Ahmed and Justice Ashutosh Kumar.

Written by Aneesha Mathur | New Delhi | Published:November 3, 2016 4:56 am
sainik farms, delhi, delhi news, delhi high court, delhi hc, delhi high court sainik farms, sainik farms news, indian express, india news Defence services enclave- veteran soldiers and families say DSE is separate from “illegal” Sainik farms colony. The MCD has a ban on the entry of construction material.

IN A bid to clamp down on “rampant unauthorised construction” in the Sainik Farms area, the Delhi High Court on Wednesday banned the entry of all heavy vehicles except for emergency service vehicles and school buses.

“No heavy motor vehicles will be allowed to enter Sainik Farms, except fire services, police services, ambulance and school buses,” said the bench of Justice Badar Durrez Ahmed and Justice Ashutosh Kumar.

In 2001, the High Court had banned construction in Sainik Farms as well as the entry of construction material. However, since then, over 3,000 houses have come up in the area, while small trucks and other vehicles have been bringing in construction equipment. The ban on entry of vehicles is aimed at stopping the unauthorised entry of construction material in the area.

The bench also said it would pass orders for a CBI inquiry against the South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) and Delhi Police officials who “allowed” the unauthorised construction to occur, and asked why the lawyers for the municipal organisation were “opposing a CBI inquiry”.

The court had taken the decision in June to seek a CBI inquiry into the “nexus” allowing rampant unauthorised construction, but did not issue the orders as the SDMC counsel said the municipal corporation would take steps against the erring officials.

The court had earlier sought reports from the MCD and police, giving details of personnel who had been appointed to man the security checkpoints in the area, as well as details of engineer-level officers of the MCD responsible for overseeing the area.

The bench on Wednesday commented that “only those who had made money” by allowing unauthorised construction would be caught in the CBI net. It added that the SDMC lawyers had the “duty to assist” the court in stopping such activities.

The court has given the SDMC a week’s time to file its response and will take up the matter next Wednesday.

Regarding regularisation of the colony, the court has granted time to the Delhi government to file its response to questions raised by the Centre regarding its proposed regularisation policy.