A day after The Indian Express reported that a couple had killed themselves within hours of the death of their seven-year-old son who had been denied dengue treatment by Delhi hospitals, the Centre and Delhi government ordered probes into the incident and issued show-cause notices to five hospitals.
Moolchand, Max Saket, Akash Hospital, Saket City Hospital and Irene Hospital were asked to explain why they
refused to admit Avinash Rout — he died at the Batra Hospital on September 8 — and why their registration should not be cancelled.
The Delhi government show-cause notice mentioned an August 28 order “to ensure dengue patients requiring admission are not denied the same due to lack of beds” — yet Avinash was refused admission. The notice, signed by Dr Sunil Bhatnagar, Director, Health Services, sought to know “why an order of cancellation of registration of your nursing home/hospital should not be issued for refusing emergency medical care to the deceased child”.
Union Health Minister J P Nadda ordered an inquiry and said the “guilty won’t be spared”.
“Ordered inquiry into incident reported in media involving death of child in Delhi due to Dengue & suicide by
parents. Guilty won’t be spared,” Nadda tweeted.
Ordered inquiry into incident reported in media involving death of child in Delhi due to Dengue & suicide by parents.Guilty won’t be spared.
Reacting to the tragic incident, Delhi Health Minister Satyender Jain said the government had issued notices but it was unlikely that their registrations would be cancelled outright.
Health Minister @SatyendarJain has ordered issue of show cause notice to Moolchand and Max Saket for turning away dengue patient who died.
It is completely unacceptable that some hospitals didn’t accept a patient n he died. Strict action wud be taken against them
The boy’s grandfather, who has since left for Orissa to immerse the ashes of his daughter and son-in-law, said the family had taken Avinash to six hospitals between 2 pm and 11.15 pm September 7.
Preliminary reports of the Delhi government inquiry, accessed by The Sunday Express, said Avinash, who was admitted in the paediatric ICU of Batra Hospital, died of “dengue shock syndrome with septic shock” or infection in the body, “disseminated intravascular coagulation” (formation of multiple blood clots in the body) and “multi organ failure”.
The report said Avinash had only 15 per cent ejection fraction, or pumping capacity of the heart, when he was admitted at 11.15 pm on September 7. The report notes he had lethargy and respiratory difficulty for 10 hours before admission — nine were spent looking for a hospital bed.
For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App nowFirst Published on: September 13, 2015 4:40 am