Dengue death: Govt to Moolchand, Max, 3 others: Why did you slam door?

Notices ask hospitals why registration should not be cancelled; preliminary report details family search for hospital

Written by Pritha Chatterjee | New Delhi | Updated: September 15, 2015 3:42 pm
Dengue, delhi dengue, Max Saket, Dengue death, Avinash Rout, Parents suicide, Avinash Rout death, Kid death dengue, Delhi news, Nation news, india news Left behind: photographs of the Rout family

A day after The Indian Express reported that a couple had killed themselves within hours of the death of their  seven-year-old son who had been denied dengue treatment by Delhi hospitals, the Centre and Delhi government ordered probes into the incident and issued show-cause notices to five hospitals.

Moolchand, Max Saket, Akash Hospital, Saket City Hospital and Irene Hospital were asked to explain why they
refused to admit Avinash Rout — he died at the Batra Hospital on September 8 — and why their registration should not be cancelled.

The Delhi government show-cause notice mentioned an August 28 order “to ensure dengue patients requiring admission are not denied the same due to lack of beds” — yet Avinash was refused admission. The notice, signed by Dr Sunil Bhatnagar, Director, Health Services, sought to know “why an order of cancellation of registration of your nursing home/hospital should not be issued for refusing emergency medical care to the deceased child”.

Union Health Minister J P Nadda ordered an inquiry and said the “guilty won’t be spared”.

“Ordered inquiry into incident reported in media involving death of child in Delhi due to Dengue & suicide by
parents. Guilty won’t be spared,” Nadda tweeted.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Reacting to the tragic incident, Delhi Health Minister Satyender Jain said the government had issued notices but it was unlikely that their registrations would be cancelled outright.

The boy’s grandfather, who has since left for Orissa to immerse the ashes of his daughter and son-in-law, said the family had taken Avinash to six hospitals between 2 pm and 11.15 pm September 7.

Preliminary reports of the Delhi government inquiry, accessed by The Sunday Express, said Avinash, who was admitted in the paediatric ICU of Batra Hospital, died of “dengue shock syndrome with septic shock” or infection in the body, “disseminated intravascular coagulation” (formation of multiple blood clots in the body) and “multi organ failure”.

The report said Avinash had only 15 per cent ejection fraction, or pumping capacity of the heart, when he was admitted at 11.15 pm on September 7. The report notes he had lethargy and respiratory difficulty for 10 hours before admission — nine were spent looking for a hospital bed.

For all the latest Cities News, download Indian Express App

  1. S
    Sanjiv
    Sep 13, 2015 at 12:12 am
    We will follow this news after 30 days and will be glad to be informed about the steps taken by Delhi Government.
    Reply
  2. A
    Amit Mukhopadhyay
    Sep 12, 2015 at 9:44 pm
    There is no reason to issue show cause notice. It's a case of culpable homicide. FIR should be registered against the accused hospital directors on two charges: (1) Culpable homicide not amounting to murder -- u/s 304 IPC, and (2) Abetment of suicide -- u/s 306 IPC. The first one carries a sentence of two years and second one ten years maximum imprisonment. Rather than lodging FIR, the AAP govt is issuing show cause notice and giving the accused one month's time for damage control.
    Reply
  3. A
    Anurag Srivastava
    Sep 13, 2015 at 5:19 pm
    Agreed that the hospitals have committed wrong and they should be punished. Why Government is not doing something in their hospitals, wherein the patients has the confidence that he will get the necessary treatment. Why did''nt it allowed the hospitals to establish tents for admitting patients for Dengue treatment. Why it does not increase the medical seats which keeps pace with the potion increase in the country. In the so called private hospitals we have Doctors qualified from Russia and China in the emergency area.
    Reply
  4. J
    JK
    Sep 13, 2015 at 4:06 am
    WHY 1 MONTH? 1 DAY IS ENOUGH TO EXPLAIN. CLEARLY 1 MONTH IS GIVEN SO THE CULPRITS CAN INVENT REASONS.
    Reply
  5. B
    BharatK
    Sep 12, 2015 at 9:26 pm
    This is sad. Parents should not have taken extreme step of suicides. You could have another child or more. Your child died of illness, but you killed yourself. Other parents should take lessions from this and not take extreme step like this. Respect your life, as long as you live.
    Reply
  6. B
    Bharat
    Sep 13, 2015 at 9:09 am
    There should be list displa outside every hospital about daily position of wards, beds, doctors, rates of doctor fee, everything displa. Government must stop commercialisation of health services as top priority.
    Reply
  7. H
    HILARY
    Sep 13, 2015 at 2:40 pm
    30 days are not necessary to reply to the notice. The Delhi government has bungled.
    Reply
  8. B
    BABAREBABA
    Sep 13, 2015 at 10:07 am
    All insutes in our motherland have been corrupted due to 60 miserable and corrupt rule. To expect BJP to do miracle will be unfair. Lets hope they get majority in future in RajyaSabha, as some members in BJP are very very fiercely patriotic. They have been taught to love the motherland and it gets priority over everything else
    Reply
  9. Load More Comments