A 9 mm Taurus automatic pistol procured from Brazil and a .455 bore pistol used by US armed forces are among weapons seized from two Delhi gangsters who have been arrested, said police Wednesday.
A licence holder can get a Taurus gun for around Rs 30 lakh, while the pistol used by US armed forces is not for sale, said a senior police officer.
“They revealed during questioning that they wanted to eliminate rival gang members and procured the sophisticated guns from a source in Delhi. We are investigating the source,” the officer added.
- Found from Sonu Dariyapur’s house — a 9mm carbine
- Cache of arms, ammunition seized from financier’s office in Punjab
- Rajasthan gangster extended support: Behind Sonu’s arms cache, ‘contacts’ in three states
- Carried 5 lakh reward on his head: Sonu Dariyapur, Delhi’s most wanted, arrested
- Delhi's most wanted criminal Sonu Dariyapur arrested
- Mohali Police say Baltana murder and Balongi firing case solved, 3 held
Delhi Police Crime Branch arrested gangsters Gyanender alias Gadgu (29) and Rajeev Dahiya (39), both wanted in murder cases, from Khera Khurd village in Outer Delhi’s Bawana area and seized the weapons. A country-made carbine with two magazines, and 66 live cartridges of different bore were also recovered from them, said police.
The arrests came after the Crime Branch created a special team led by ACP Jitendra Singh to arrest parole and bail jumpers, extortionists and wanted criminals.
Police said Gyanender and Dahiya were wanted in a string of murder cases resulting out of gang rivalry between Himmat and Kartar gangs. “The team collected all information on Gyanender and Dahiya, who had started working together to eliminate rival gangs. Hideouts in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan were raided, but they managed to escape. However, on June 4, an information was received and after some resistance they were arrested later,” said JCP Crime Ravindra Yadav.
He added the duo had opened fire on two constables of the Crime Branch, who had a narrow escape.