Delhi: Ex-councillor’s abducted son returns home after six days

The youngster was returning home from college in his BMW car when he was abducted, the sources added.

Written by Mahender Singh Manral | New Delhi | Published: October 4, 2016 1:43 am

A former MCD councillor’s 19-year-old son who was allegedly abducted six days ago returned home Monday.

Joint Commissioner of Police (northern range) Sanjay Singh confirmed the youngster had reached his home Monday evening. He declined to divulge details, saying the investigation was on.

Watch What Else Is Making News

Amid talk of a hefty ransom having been paid to secure his release, Milind Dumbre, DCP (northwest district), said, “We are probing the matter and trying to find out if they have given ransom. The victim and his family members are in trauma and we have not been able to meet them.”

For the last six days, nearly 500 officers of several units of Delhi Police, including the Special Cell, Crime Branch and from northwest district, were working to solve the abduction case. Five persons posing as police officials had allegedly abducted the youngster from northwest Delhi’s Rani Bagh area, said sources.

The youngster was returning home from college in his BMW car when he was abducted, the sources added.

Police sources told The Indian Express, “The victim’s car was intercepted by a Scorpio SUV and two persons – one of them in police uniform and another wearing traffic police uniform – came out and started questioning him, saying he had violated traffic norms. Then they abducted him.”

The victim’s father, who runs a hospital and school, received the first ransom call for a hefty amount, but the amount was brought down after negotiations, the sources added.

Hours after the abduction, the victim’s father received the first ransom call from his son’s mobile phone, said sources. “He immediately informed police and a case was registered at Rani Bagh police station.Police started tracking the location of victim’s phone with which the caller was making ransom calls. The victim’s family received three ransom calls from three different in a span of 24 hours. The first call was traced from near Bhondsi Jail in Gurgaon, the second was made from Faridabad and the third from Gurgaon,” the sources added.

“Preliminary investigation has revealed local criminals of Dariyapur Kalan worked together to execute the abduction and some of them had recently came out on parole,” said sources.

According to the sources, investigation also revealed that in all the ransom calls, the victim was not present with the accused and they played a recorded audio whenever the victim’s father requested them to put his son on line.

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App