Three members of a family died after a gas cylinder exploded inside their house in a slum colony in northwest Delhi’s Jahangarpuri Tuesday night.
“The cylinder caught fire and exploded. The three victims — Mithilesh and her two daughters Kavita and Anjali — were trapped inside the room. They died on the spot,” said DCP (northwest) Vijay Singh.
Mithilesh’s son Vijay and her husband Ajay Kumar, a daily wage labourer, were not at home at the time of the incident.
- Hyderabad: Fire at chemical factory in Jeedimetla industrial area, four trapped
- Woman, 5-year-old daughter killed in fire in Airoli
- Kolkata: Major fire guts 150 shops at Gorabazar
- Bawana fire LIVE UPDATES: CM Kejriwal announces Rs 5 lakh compensation for kin of victims, 1 lakh to injured
- See video: Chandigarh now has firefighting bikes, will help cut through traffic and crowded areas
- Four of family injured in LPG cylinder explosion in Thane
Neighbours said they tried to rescue those trapped. “The entire house was on fire, we couldn’t get in… even the door was stuck,,” said Ajay, a neighbour.
While fire tenders were rushed to the spot, they could not enter the narrow lane in which the house is located.
Neighbours said, Kavita, 20, had come to visit her parents for the first time after her wedding four months ago. “She was visiting and planned to leave in an hour. She was two months pregnant… The whole house was on fire, we could hear them screaming,” said Monika, her friend.