An unidentified gunman opened fire at Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MLA from Shahdara, Jeetendra Singh Shunty, outside his house in east Delhi’s Vivek Vihar area early on Wednesday morning, police said. Fortunately, Shunty escaped unhurt as the bullets narrowly missed him.
The whole incident was caught on CCTV. The incident took place at around 5:30 AM when the man reached Shunty’s residence and repeatedly rang the bell.
“As Shunty went out to check, the man who was wearing a helmet told him that he wanted to get some documents attested,” said a police official.
As the BJP MLA took the documents from him and was about to go inside the house to attest them, the attacker whipped out a pistol.
Seeing the weapon, Shunty tried to prevent him from opening fire and had a scuffle with him but the gunman managed to fire three to four shots at him, which missed Shunty by a whisker, the official said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The attacker then fled from the scene and police was informed about the incident.
The BJP MLA told police that he could not identify the assailant as he was wearing a helmet.
Delhi Police’s FSL and Crime Team have reached the spot and begun investigation into the case.
Empty cartridges were recovered from the lane outside Shunty’s residence where the incident took place.
Senior officials including DCP Ajay Kumar and Joint Commissioner Sanjay Beniwal have also reached the crime scene.
Investigators are also examining the CCTV footage for more leads in the case.