It was a challenge for him to bring the faction-ridden Delhi BJP on one stage. Yet, Satish Upadhyay, who officially took over as the party’s state unit president on Saturday, managed it all.
And to drive home the point that he would take everyone along, he ended his address with a line from a poem written by former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee — “Kadam milakar chalna hoga, badhayen aati hai to aayen”.
For Upadhyay, it only took a “few phone calls” and a “humble request” to be a part of “his journey” that brought even those senior leaders on stage with him who call him their “junior”.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
In his maiden address after being anointed Delhi BJP chief, Upadhyay said, “I am younger to many of my colleagues here, who have shown me the path and direction whenever I have turned to them for advice. I had doubts in my ability when my name was finalised as the Delhi BJP chief and I spoke about it to many senior leaders. I called everyone. All the seven MPs then suggested me some names they thought I should call. I called them and got their support in return. This is how our party functions. I am under no illusion. I am just a trustee of party work and nothing more,” Upadhyay said.
At a time when there is a race to get their hoardings splashed across the city, the new Delhi BJP chief got his hoardings removed from his residence. “I humbly asked for the hoardings to be removed. If you need to put hoardings, put them in the hearts of people you serve,” he told the cadre.
Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan, who handed over charge to Upadhyay, praised him for being a “true karyakarta and humble leader” with whom he has worked for 20 years.
He too did not forget to remember Atal Bihari Vajpayee. “We were happy when Atal Bihraiji took over as PM, but we had never imagined the extent of happiness we felt when Narendra Modiji took over. I hope the leadership we require to make Modi’s dream nation we have got that for Delhi,” he said.
Prabhat Jha, Delhi incharge, said, “His is a true journey of a karyakarta…”
‘I will cooperate as much as I can’
New Delhi: Satish Upadhyay’s wife and three children were by his side when he took charge as the Delhi BJP chief. Speaking to mediapersone, Arti said, “I understand the responsibility on his shoulders and I will cooperate as much as I can. Even my children know that they will not get enough time with their father now and they also understand.”