It was a challenge for him to bring the faction-ridden Delhi BJP on one stage. Yet, Satish Upadhyay, who officially took over as the party’s state unit president on Saturday, managed it all.
And to drive home the point that he would take everyone along, he ended his address with a line from a poem written by former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee — “Kadam milakar chalna hoga, badhayen aati hai to aayen”.
For Upadhyay, it only took a “few phone calls” and a “humble request” to be a part of “his journey” that brought even those senior leaders on stage with him who call him their “junior”.
In his maiden address after being anointed Delhi BJP chief, Upadhyay said, “I am younger to many of my colleagues here, who have shown me the path and direction whenever I have turned to them for advice. I had doubts in my ability when my name was finalised as the Delhi BJP chief and I spoke about it to many senior leaders. I called everyone. All the seven MPs then suggested me some names they thought I should call. I called them and got their support in return. This is how our party functions. I am under no illusion. I am just a trustee of party work and nothing more,” Upadhyay said.
At a time when there is a race to get their hoardings splashed across the city, the new Delhi BJP chief got his hoardings removed from his residence. “I humbly asked for the hoardings to be removed. If you need to put hoardings, put them in the hearts of people you serve,” he told the cadre.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan, who handed over charge to Upadhyay, praised him for being a “true karyakarta and humble leader” with whom he has worked for 20 years.
He too did not forget to remember Atal Bihari Vajpayee. “We were happy when Atal Bihraiji took over as PM, but we had never imagined the extent of happiness we felt when Narendra Modiji took over. I hope the leadership we require to make Modi’s dream nation we have got that for Delhi,” he said.
Prabhat Jha, Delhi incharge, said, “His is a true journey of a karyakarta…”
‘I will cooperate as much as I can’
New Delhi: Satish Upadhyay’s wife and three children were by his side when he took charge as the Delhi BJP chief. Speaking to mediapersone, Arti said, “I understand the responsibility on his shoulders and I will cooperate as much as I can. Even my children know that they will not get enough time with their father now and they also understand.”