AAP MLA Mahinder Yadav, who was arrested for allegedly rioting and assaulting a public servant during a protest here seeking action against an alleged sexual offender, was today granted bail by a Delhi court.
Metropolitan Magistrate Harvinder Singh, who had sent Yadav to police custody for a day on Friday, released the legislator on bail on furnishing of a personal bond of Rs 20,000 and a surety of the like amount.
The legislator from Vikaspuri in West Delhi, along with four others, was arrested on Friday by the police.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- AAP MLA Gulab Singh granted bail in extortion case
- AAP MLA Mahinder Yadav arrested for allegedly leading violent protest
- Court grants bail to AAP MLA Akhilesh Tripathi, says he has learnt 'sufficient lesson' in jail
- What is Modi trying to achieve? Kejriwal on AAP MLA's arrest
- AAP MLA Manoj Kumar gets bail in land grabbing case
- Yogendra Yadav released after furnishing bail bond
The court on Friday had granted bail to four other accused – Rupesh Katyani, Devender Kumar, Roshan Kumar and Shailesh Kumar – who were also arrested in the case.
Advocate Kapil Sharma and Sanjeev Kumar, who appeared for Katyani, had said the four were released on furnishing of a personal bond of Rs 20,000 each and a surety of like amount.
According to the police, Yadav had led a violent protest on the evening of January 28 in Nihal Vihar area in West Delhi following sexual assault on a three-year-old girl. A mob had attacked public vehicles and tried to set one of them on fire.
The protesters had demanded immediate arrest of the 38-year-old accused alleging that the police was not pursuing the case promptly, though Joint Commissioner of Police (Southwest) Dependra Pathak had claimed that the alleged culprit was arrested much before the protest.
Yadav is the sixth AAP legislator to be arrested since the Arvind Kejriwal government came to power in Delhi.
Earlier, Akhilesh Tripathi, Somnath Bharti, Commando Surinder Singh, Manoj Kumar and former law minister Jitender Singh Tomar were arrested on various charges.
“A case was registered on the night of January 28 and the MLA was arrested on charges of rioting, arson, assault on public servant, wrongful restraint and damage to public property,” the police had said.
It had said the protesters even manhandled a police team which had tried to pacify the agitators.
Reacting to Yadav’s arrest, AAP’s Delhi Convener Dilip Pandey had tweeted, “Delhi Police busy again arresting AAP MLA instead of ensuring Delhi women safety despite multiple warnings from courts.”