The Delhi government has decided to oppose the introduction of genetically modified mustard (GM mustard) and plans to collect and send feedback, including videos, about it to the Centre. This comes after concerns were raised by farmer collectives over genetically modified mustard affecting their livelihood and the crop’s fitness for human consumption.
The government held Jashn-E-Sarson in support of India’s organic mustard in Delhi on Sunday.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
“The Delhi government stands by the farmers and consumers of this country. Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia has already communicated the views of the government to the Prime Minister
of India in a letter in January 2016, urging the Centre not to approve GM mustard. The struggle against GM Mustard is not partisan. It is a necessary cause that we need to fight together. AAP stands with the farmers and
AAP stands with the farmers and consumers of India. I appeal to every political, spiritual and religious leader to oppose GM mustard and stand by our farmers,” said cabinet minister Kapil Mishra, who was present at the festival.
The festival saw members of representatives of the Swadeshi Jagran Manch, Bhartiya Kisaan Union, Bharitya Kisan Sangh and Alliance for Sustainable and Holistic Agriculture in attendance. “The government is not listening to technologists, scientists, agriculturists, activists and fellow politicians who are all opposing GM mustard. Why is it listening only to the vested interests and GM lobbies? We oppose this policy of introduction of GM mustard and ask the Modi Government to redact it immediately,” said Ashwani Mahajan from Swadeshi Jagran Manch.
“The government is not listening to technologists, scientists, agriculturists, activists and fellow politicians who are all opposing GM mustard. Why is it listening only to the vested interests and GM lobbies? We oppose this policy of introduction of GM mustard and ask the Modi Government to redact it immediately,” said Ashwani Mahajan from Swadeshi Jagran Manch.
Several farmer collectives have opposed GM Mustard, calling it unnecessary. “GM Mustard is unsafe, unwanted and unnecessary and has no place in Indian agriculture. Sarson symbolises the deep
“GM Mustard is unsafe, unwanted and unnecessary and has no place in Indian agriculture. Sarson symbolises the deep relationship between Indian culture, agriculture and the farming community of India. In the context of threats like transgenic mustard, it is important to highlight the valuable native diversity of mustard, and to reconnect citizens with the importance of mustard,” said Kavitha Kuruganti from the Alliance for Sustainable and Holistic Agriculture.
“I appeal to every political, spiritual and religious leader to oppose GM mustard and stand by our farmers. I ask Baba Ramdev ji, Sri Sri Ravi Shankar and Mohan Bhagwat to fight this menace, which will destroy India’s organic mustard. India should unite for Sarson,” an official statement said.
“The Swadeshi Jagran Manch has taken the difficult path as well to fight for their India-centric economic policy, even if it means opposition of the central government under the BJP. I congratulate them for their large-heartedness towards national food safety and security,” Mishra said.