The Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) on Monday summoned Law Minister Somnath Bharti after four Ugandan women approached the forum alleging that they had been manhandled by the minister and his associates on the night of January 15. The summons was issued for Tuesday and was ignored by the minister.
“Bharti had been directed to appear before the NCW on Tuesday at 3 pm, but he did not show up. When I called him up, he did not answer. We shall send another summons through the concerned Station House Officer to him tomorrow (Wednesday). If he does not appear within the next one or two days, we shall write to the Lieutenant-Governor with a copy to the Delhi Police Commissioner,” DCW chief Barkha Singh said.
According to Singh, the women had approached the DCW through their mobile helpline on Friday. On Monday, they arrived in person at the DCW office to register a complaint against Bharti and others.
“They specifically named Bharti since they had identified him from the TV clips recorded that night,” Singh said.
“We saw injuries on their face and bodies… they claimed that unknown persons had forcibly entered their house in the middle of the night. Some of them were stopped while returning from work and forced to give urine samples while sitting in a taxi… I understand that there is a need to put an end to drug menace, but there is a way to go about it. What law is this?” Singh said.
On the night of January 15, Bharti and AAP volunteers had reached Khirki Extension and conducted a raid on houses of Nigerian and Ugandan nationals. Bharti claimed that the raid had been conducted after he received information about a prostitution-and-drugs racket in the area.
The minister had later said none of the women had been manhandled during the raid.
However, the Ugandan women had approached police, court and DCW since then, urging that they had been molested during the raid and forcibly subjected to medical tests.