Giving in to Lt Governor’s assertion, the AAP government today sent him a file on appointment of Swati Maliwal as Chief of Delhi Commission for Women, two days after he struck down its decision for not taking his approval.
After a meeting with LG Najeeb Jung, Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia said government has sent the file relating to Maliwal’s appointment to LG for clearance but added it was done so to “stop the conspiracy to weaken the panel”.
“Modi government made the DCW completely inactive. A new chief was appointed and attempts were being made to make a new beginning from a fresh perspective. But issue is being made out of a signature.
- DCW chief Swati Maliwal recommends regular inspection of ashrams housing women
- It’s business as usual for Swati Maliwal
- L-G Najeeb Jung expresses disappointment over Kejriwal's remark on PM, says will clear Swati Maliwal as DCW chief
- L-G Najeeb Jung's 'I am the govt' remark laughable, acting at PM's behest: Kejriwal
- DCW chief Swati Maliwal hopes controversy over her appointment will be resolved
- L-G Najeeb Jung questions AAP appointment of women panel chief
“Nameplate is being removed. But we don’t consider this to be an issue. That is why we have given the file to LG for his signature so that the conspiracy to weaken the panel can be stopped,” Sisodia told reporters.
On Tuesday, Jung had declared Maliwal’s appointment null and void, saying it did not have legal sanctity and was in violation of constitutional provisions.
A defiant AAP Government yesterday refused to comply with LG’s order striking down her appointment, notwithstanding his assertion that ‘Government’ meant the LG in Delhi.
Earlier today, Maliwal claimed that her office had been locked down but hours later it was found open though her name plate was removed. Maliwal also claimed that all files had been taken away from her office.
“Why my office has been locked and why my name plate and that of other members removed from the Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) office…. I will work for the cause of women and will make DCW the strongest in the world,” the 30-year-old activist said this morning.
Later, her office at Vikas Sadan in ITO locality was found open but her name plate was removed. When asked about the office being open contrary to her claims, she said her staff had gone to the office in the morning and found it locked.
“It could have been opened later may be due to media pressure or any other reason. But it was locked in the morning. Since we were told we cannot sign any files, in a way the Commission closed down,” she said.