Traffic cop arrested after brick attack, daughter who saw it says he ‘wanted Rs 200’

The daughter of the victim said she had called up the police control room to lodge a complaint about the incident.

Written by Mahender Singh Manral | New Delhi | Updated: May 12, 2015 12:05 pm
Delhi traffic police, Delhi police, Delhi police brick attack, delhi police attack, Ramanjeet Kaur, who was attacked by the traffic policeman with a brick. (Source: Express photo)

The mother who was hit by a traffic policeman with a brick on Monday was on her scooter with three of her children as pillion riders. The oldest of them, 13-year-old Yamini Kaur, later recounted the incident, which has already resulted in the arrest and expulsion of the constable and a day-long ruckus.

READ: Wanted to expose corrupt policeman, says the man who shot attack video

“I had heard a number of times from our Chief Minister (Arvind Kejriwal) that Delhi Police are corrupt, but today was the first time I saw a policeman asking for a bribe,” Yamini said. She was sitting on the Scooty along with her mother Ramanjeet Kaur, 30, when the violent scuffle took place in the Golf Link area. Also at the scene were her two sisters — Gagandeep, 7, and Gurpreet, aged four months.

Related Article

The constable in question is Satish Chand, who comes from Bulandshahr. He joined Delhi Police in 1998 and lived in Ashoka police lines in Chanakyapuri. He was transferred to Traffic police only last year.

READ: Caught on camera: Delhi traffic constable thrashes woman

“We had gone to attend a parent-teacher meeting for my sister at Guru Harkrishan Public School. We were happy as all the teachers appreciated my sister and my mother said she would take us out for dinner tonight, but everything has changed after this shocking incident,” Yamini said.

“My mother took a turn on Golf Links Road and suddenly the traffic policeman stopped us. He accused my mother of jumping a red light. He started misbehaving with my mother and told her to pay Rs 200 to him. She asked for a receipt. This made him angry and he said she will have to pay more if she wanted a receipt,” the girl said.

“The policeman kicked our Scooty. He then picked up a brick and hurled it at my mother,” she said. The video footage purports to shows that the mother had first picked up a brick, before the constable did the same and hurled it at her.

Yamini then made a PCR call, informing police about the incident. Ramanjeet was taken to Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, where her fractured left hand was plastered. Yamini later spoke to her father, Gurdeep Singh, a south Delhi-based transporter, and asked him to come to the hospital.

Singh claimed the policeman had aimed the brick at his wife’s head. “The cop attacked my wife with a brick due to which she has received injuries on her back and hand,” he said.

Special Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Muktesh Chander said the constable should not have attacked the woman whatever the provocation. “He has no right to misbehave with women. No policeman has any right to misbehave with people.”

For all the latest Cities News, download Indian Express App

Dr. V.
    May 12, 2015 at 3:42 pm
    Yesterday, the young girl was beaten by brick and the angry policeman twisted her arm. Another Authoritative person sitting at the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Chief Editor of YOJANA magazine threw a big rock on me to crush my intellectual abilities and self-respect. Director and Chief Editor, Deepika Kachal took away my article from the planned issue because she was angry at me. The article was ordered by her a month ago and it took me all this time to do. She refused to write to me all this in B&W, to talk to me on the telephone and refused to see me when I went to her office yesterday to plead her not to waste my one month’s hard work. This is what the babus or policeman or who so ever has authority do in our country. This is my last letter to the person in chair. When will India change? Every where these authoritarian giants tell us- the commoners- to shut up. We, the people will really like to change all this and would like our central government to have respect for knowledge and intellectuals. To Deepika Kachhal Director & Chief Editor (Yojana) Publications Division Ministry of Information & Broadcasting Room No. 660, Soochna Bhavan, Lodhi Road, New Delhi - 110 003 Dear Ms Deepika Kachhal, Dear Madam, Despite my repeated requests since 7th May, you did not reply my mails to give me in writing your criticism of my article which I wrote on your demand. You also refused to talk to me on the phone each time I called you. Yesterday, (11 May 2015), I personally visited your office to sort out the matter. Not only you refused to talk to me, but you have already given instructions to Mr. Pillai not to let me meet you and tell me that you have decided not to include my article for the special issue which you had asked me to write. He told me that you and he have read all my emails to you. I also understood from him that you got angry at me due to something I said. Please understand that each of us has our place and profession and you were asking me to kill the article by taking out the knowledge base. That is the reason that I wrote back to you immediately after our conversation and ask to put the matter in black and white (as it should be with the government of India) but you refused to reply, talk or discuss further all these days despite my numerous efforts. For victimizing somebody like you have done in my case, you should at least have the courage to face me directly or give me in writing. Yesterday (11-05.2015) a police man beat a woman with the brick when she asked for a receipt. You dropped a bigger and harder rock on me than the brick by exercising your ‘absolute power’ being in the authority. Arnab Goswami is right, when he expressed how there are only two cles in India and how the ‘powerful’ suppresses a common citizen. With kind regards,
    shankar
    May 12, 2015 at 11:48 am
    No one has spoken a word against the mother who so callously endangered the lives of her three children by violating the law. She too deserves to be punished. Will she? Nah, the media will make her into some kind of martyr. The policeman, of course, had no right to throw a brick at her. If an accident befalls a scooterist with 4 pengers, everyone will blame the police for not enforcing the law. Only in our country do law breakers want to be treated as the oppressed and like martyrs. Shame on both the mother and the policeman. Handi aur kadhai are both black.
  3. C
    Chavali
    May 12, 2015 at 7:32 am
    Delhities stopped behaving a long back whether it is policeman and woman. The centre of power had gone to their heads and the girl around shows it is being perpectuated to next generations. People and Police need to be taught how to obey laws and public order. Kejiriwal manifests this disorder.
    sarit
    May 12, 2015 at 11:41 am
    Video shows attack from both sides! Its a rough act..shame for Indian capital..there is a urgent need of Public-Police meetings in Delhi..is the CM and Lt. Gov. listening?
    master
    May 12, 2015 at 10:17 am
    The fact is not cleared.... here they say women attacked police by throwing bricks on him and after police attacked women by throwing brick.... This is to be probed... the indian express journalist dont know the actual fact..... he says the hand is fractured and then he says injuries on hand... !!
    Partha Pratim Lala
    May 12, 2015 at 1:36 pm
    The matter needs thorough investigation.No way a police on duty can bodily harm a person.
  7. B
    Bona
    May 12, 2015 at 1:24 pm
    For long years certain police in Delhi are looting people in name of rules. In fact the current RS. 500 fine has opened new way to make the police reach. Hardly any one can see Police is controlling traffic.
  8. B
    Bona
    May 12, 2015 at 1:30 pm
    People have the requirements and no one can avoid this. However police are looting people for many years. No one has prevented this nor congress , not AAP , neither BJP. Hardly you find police regulating traffic in Delhi. They are busy in finding easy money and women are really targeted by them for money and etc. Take up a Delhi route and you will find the way traffic behaves with no control of traffic by police.