Concerned over the rising price of onions in the capital,Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Tuesday requested Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar to curtail export of onions till the prices stabilised.
The Delhi government also decided to sell onions at reasonable rates through 50 mobile vans and warned hoarders and black-marketeers of stringent action.
With onion prices ranging between Rs 50 and Rs 80 across the capital over the past few days,the Delhi government convened a high-level meeting that included Delhi Development Minister Raj Kumar Chauhan,Food and Supplies Minister Haroon Yusuf and Commissioner (F&S) S S Yadav.
The city government is concerned over the rising trend in onion prices. The shortfall in arrival is due to heavy rainfall in onion-producing states. The produce arrival in Delhi used to be around 2,000 to 2,500 tonnes per day. This has gone down and is now between 800 and 1,000 tonnes per day, Chauhan said. He said the government also decided to keep a close watch on the availability and rising trend in onion prices across the city.
According to Chauhan,Dikshit addressed a letter to Pawar requesting him to curtail export of onion in order to stabilise the prices and increase availability
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
of onions in Delhi.
In order to mitigate the effect of soaring onion prices,the city government has decided to arrange sale of onions at reasonable rates through 50 mobile vans across the city. The vans will visit various localities to ensure that the produce reaches the citizens at their doorstep, Yusuf said.
He said the F&S department and Agriculture Produce Marketing Committees were directed to work in tandem to start deployment of vans from August 17.
The government also warned hoarders and black-marketeers of stringent action. We have decided to take strict action against them and will also request other states,including Maharashtra,Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan to take similar action against hoarders, Yusuf said.