A senior official of the Central Public Works Department (CPWD) was on Thursday dismissed from service for unauthorized absence from duty for 25 years.
As disciplinary authority, Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu directed dismissal from service of Executive Engineer (Electrical), A K Verma, after the charge of wilful absence from duty against him was proven in an inquiry set up to probe the matter.
A senior ministry official said that Verma, who had joined CPWD as an Assistant Executive Engineer in 1980, went on Earned Leave in December, 1990 and did not report to work thereafter.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Verma went on seeking extension of leave which was not sanctioned and defied directions to report to work. An inquiry was instituted against him in September, 1992 for major penalty for wilful absence from duty.
Due to non-cooperation of Verma with the inquiry and for other reasons, it got delayed and a fresh charge sheet was issued in 2005.
The inquiry report, establishing the charges was submitted in July, 2007 and the same was accepted by the then Minister of Urban Development in August, 2007. But no further action was taken in the matter.
Seeking to streamline the functioning of CPWD and to ensure accountability, Naidu, soon after assuming office directed review of pending vigilance and disciplinary cases for expeditious action against the accused.
Verma’s case surfaced in due course and Naidu directed his dismissal from service.
The Minister has taken serious view of in-action since 2007 and directed the concerned to fix responsibility for delay in the matter