A senior official of the Central Public Works Department (CPWD) was on Thursday dismissed from service for unauthorized absence from duty for 25 years.
As disciplinary authority, Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu directed dismissal from service of Executive Engineer (Electrical), A K Verma, after the charge of wilful absence from duty against him was proven in an inquiry set up to probe the matter.
A senior ministry official said that Verma, who had joined CPWD as an Assistant Executive Engineer in 1980, went on Earned Leave in December, 1990 and did not report to work thereafter.
Verma went on seeking extension of leave which was not sanctioned and defied directions to report to work. An inquiry was instituted against him in September, 1992 for major penalty for wilful absence from duty.
Due to non-cooperation of Verma with the inquiry and for other reasons, it got delayed and a fresh charge sheet was issued in 2005.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The inquiry report, establishing the charges was submitted in July, 2007 and the same was accepted by the then Minister of Urban Development in August, 2007. But no further action was taken in the matter.
Seeking to streamline the functioning of CPWD and to ensure accountability, Naidu, soon after assuming office directed review of pending vigilance and disciplinary cases for expeditious action against the accused.
Verma’s case surfaced in due course and Naidu directed his dismissal from service.
The Minister has taken serious view of in-action since 2007 and directed the concerned to fix responsibility for delay in the matter