An elderly couple were electrocuted in the early hours of Monday morning after their house in southeast Delhi’s Sangam Vihar area was flooded after heavy rain Sunday night, said police.
The bodies of the couple — 75-year-old Deen Dayal and 70-year-old Dhanwanti — were discovered by their son-in-law Sanjay Monday morning. He rushed both of them to a hospital, where doctors declared them dead.
The bodies were found in a room located in the basement, nearly four feet below the ground floor, said a police officer. Deen Dayal and Dhanwanti were found lying next to a fridge, which had toppled over into the pool of water in the room, added the officer.
- At least 17 killed in fire at illegal firecracker storage unit in Delhi's Bawana industrial area
- ‘Man bludgeoned his wife, infant son over suspicion of affair’
- Woman and son bludgeoned to death at home, husband on the run, say Delhi police
- 25-year-old woman, son found dead in Delhi's Jahangirpuri; husband missing
- Woman, infant daughter found hanging at home
- Navi Mumbai bank robbery: Burglars dig 25 feet tunnel to rob bank
“It seems Dhanwanti was trying to make her way across the room by wading through the water when she was electrocuted. Her husband tried to help her and he was electrocuted as well,” said the officer.
The couple’s son, Rajender, told police that almost every house in their block was flooded after heavy rain Sunday night.
“We had asked civic bodies to clear the drains before the monsoon, but nothing was done to prevent water-logging in this area,” alleged the couple’s son-in-law Sanjay
A post-mortem has been ordered to ascertain the exact cause of death, said police, adding that an inquest has also been initiated into the matter. A case under Section 174 of IPC has been registered.