Nearly 2,500 workers went on the rampage on Wednesday at a construction site after rumours that a worker had died of food poisoning.
Angry workers vandalised their office, mess and two cars parked at the site in Sector 59, Badshahpur. They also blocked the Sector 59 road for half-an-hour, placing the body on the road and demanding compensation for the worker’s family.
Later in the day, the postmortem report said Budhan Chowdhary (40) had died of cardiac arrest. Belonging to Jharkhand, he had been working at the site for the last two months. Dr Deepak Mathur, forensic expert at Civil hospital who conducted the postmortem, said, “The heart of the deceased was enlarged that leads to a sudden cardiac arrest. There was no foul play in the death, nor was any poison found in his body.”
On Tuesday night, Chowdhary went to sleep around 11.30 pm after dinner. More than 50 labourers slept in that room at the site, the police said. Next morning, when other workers were getting ready, they saw Chouwdhary still sleeping. When they tried to wake him up, he did not respond. They rushed him to a private hospital, where he was declared dead on arrival, the police said.
“After news of his death spread, they vandalised the office, mess, furniture and two cars parked on the premises of the site,” ACP (Crime) Rajesh Kumar said.