With an eye on polls, Delhi Congress chief Arvinder Singh Lovely addressed the party’s municipal councillors on Wednesday, exhorting them to expose the BJP and AAP.
The Congress has a relatively weak presence in the MCD, and Lovely’s address was seen as an attempt by the party to increase its involvement in the civic body.
Lovely also alleged AAP leader and former chief minister Arvind Kejriwal was in collusion with the BJP. “BJP leaders and MCD officials were in collusion with Kejriwal. Or else, why couldn’t he find a single case of corruption within what is easily the most corrupt municipality in the world,” he alleged.
In 2012, the BJP won the civic elections for the third consecutive time and the party has been ruling the MCD for over a decade. As part of the Congress’ strategy to regain lost ground ahead of the polls, party leaders said they plan to step up their criticism of the AAP and the BJP.
“Municipal councillors must go to their areas and make door-to-door visits in order to expose the AAP and the BJP,” Lovely said, while meeting three Opposition leaders in the MCD —Farhad Suri, Mukesh Goel and Varyam Kaur.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“Councillors must get involved with the problems of Delhi and its people. They must go door to door to solve people’s problems,” he said.
The Congress also asked its councillors to hold ‘corner’ meetings — reminiscent of the AAP’s jan sabhas — regularly. The party promised a political “chargesheet” against the Kejriwal government, saying it will begin a ‘Pol Khol Abhiyan’ against the AAP in Delhi, beginning Sunday.
“With elections round the corner, Kejriwal will try to portray all the problems in Delhi as issues he could have resolved. We will ensure such ‘lies’ are not passed off as truths by the AAP,” a Congress leader said.