The Delhi Congress on Monday promised a series of agitations in the city to expose “Arvind Kejriwal’s lies” — a move that the party claims will give the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) “a taste of their own medicine”.
However, sources indicated that the aggressive campaign against the AAP was the party’s strategy to regain lost ground in the capital, especially with re-elections on the horizon.
Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee (DPCC) president Arvinder Singh Lovely said Kejriwal’s resignation last week was an attempt to obscure the AAP government’s shortcomings and use the Jan Lokpal Bill as political tool for the upcoming Lok Sabha polls.
“The AAP government has left Delhi in a lurch. The water and power situation has worsened. All Kejriwal has been trying to do is mislead the people,” Lovely said.
Two separate meetings were held at the DPCC office, where the party unanimously decided on a strategy of ‘forceful agitations’ against the AAP. The meetings were attended by most senior party functionaries, including Congress Legislature Party (CLP) leader Haroon Yusuf, MLAs Devendra Yadav, Mateen Ahmed, Asif Mohammed Khan and Prahlad Singh Sahni, and former ministers Raj Kumar Chauhan, Kiran Walia and Ramakant Goswami.
“The AAP had brought the city to a halt with their agitations. Much of their criticism was baseless. The Congress will now give them a taste of their own medicine. But with their governance in Delhi, we’ll focus on their shortcomings and lies,” a senior Congress leader said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Prime on their agenda is exposing Arvind Kejriwal’s alleged “irresponsibility” with regard to the issues of power and water.
“Kerjiwal is directly responsible for the doubling water and power rates from April 1. Power subsidies have been restricted only till March after the Finance Bill was passed. Meanwhile, the 700 litres of free water, promised to every household, will also be available only till March 31. After that Delhi will be left in the lurch,” Congress spokesperson Mukesh Sharma said.
The Congress plans to unveil its “action plan” against the AAP on Tuesday.
“The Congress proved that it was with the AAP government on issues that mattered, after it supported the Rs 372-crore power subsidy. But Kejriwal didn’t even try to get the Jan Lokpal passed. He wished to use it as a political tool for the upcoming Lok Sabha elections, which is why he dramatically resigned,” Yusuf said.