The Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee on Saturday held a meeting at Maidan Garhi in South Delhi in protest of South Municipal Corporation’s proposed move to establish a sanitary landfill site there.
Calling it a “maha panchayat”, the party that the South corporation and the Revenue Department of the Delhi government were carrying out a demolition drive and the Congress will “oppose at every platform the proposed move to set up a sanitary landfill at Maidan Garhi Village by the BJP-ruled MCD”.
However, the South corporation stated that Lieutenant-Governor Najeeb Jung had recently allocated land to the municipal corporations for the purpose of creating sanitary landfills. The transfer of land, though, is yet to take place. This particular site is situated near the IGNOU and SAARC campuses.
Congress workers said the maha panchayat was presided over by former Congress MLA from Chhatarpur Balram Tanwar and addressed by Delhi Congress chief Arvinder Singh Lovely and former MP Sajjan Kumar and Delhi Congress chief spokesperson Mukesh Sharma.
Addressing the locals Lovely alleged, “If a landfill site is established here, it will terribly affect the nearby colonies, housing societies, resettlement colonies, and over 10 lakh villagers. By deliberately setting up a landfill at Maidan Garhi, the MCD will be wreaking environmental havoc in the ridge area.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The party has demanded that the proposed landfill at the Maidan Garhi village be relocated and “warned” the administration that if a demolition drive is carried out in the village, then the Congress will start a major agitation in all 365 villages of Delhi, and “no official will be allowed to enter these villages”.