The Delhi Congress and the BJP lashed out at the Aam Aadmi Party over their handling of the Danish woman’s gangrape case.
While senior Congress leaders remarked that the AAP got a “taste of their own medicine”, the BJP said AAP lacked sensitivity.
Delhi Congress chief Arvinder Singh Lovely said AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal had once targeted former chief minister Sheila Dikshit for what Kejriwal had termed as “excuses for every issue”. Lovely said Kejriwal was now doing the same thing himself.
Lovely said the AAP, now that it was in power, had ceased to live up to the standards it had once demanded from others.
“Is this the same party that used to break into in protest on the streets of Delhi? Today, the chief minister says that he will conduct a study to understand why such cases are happening. Now that the responsibility of preventing rapes has fallen on him, he is thinking of conducting studies,” said Lovely.
Terming it a “weird situation”, Lovely said his intention wasn’t to create comparisons but to shake up the AAP, which he alleged had fallen asleep after coming into power.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“We don’t play politics on issues like rape. But in this case, we will write not just to the CM, but also to the Lt-Governor and the home minister demanding a thorough investigation in the case and strict punishment to the culprits,” Lovely said.
The main opposition party, the BJP, also demanded the immediate suspension of Law Minister Somnath Bharti, arguing that a person who has been indicted for breaking laws cannot be a law minister.
At a press conference on Thursday, BJP secretary Arti Mehra said AAP got 28 seats in Delhi by “misleading” the people.
Mehra, who lost to Bharti in Malviya Nagar in the Assembly election, said she has handed over a memorandum to Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Wednesday to take action against Bharti. If no action is taken against him, Mehra said she would stage an indefinite protest till her demand is met.
Referring to the gangrape of the Danish woman, Mehra said, “I want to ask Arvind Kejriwal, who used to talk so much about women’s safety in the city, where is that sensitivity after coming to power?”