Metro commuters on the Gurgaon line on Friday afternoon broke the windows of a coach in a bid to escape after they reportedly heard a sound and saw smoke emanating from a coach in the rear, police said.
“Although people panicked thinking a fire had started on the train, nobody sustained any serious injury,” Sanjay Bhatia, DCP (Railways), said.
“Around 1 pm, some sparking was observed in the rear coach of the train as it headed towards Arjangarh Metro station from Ghitorni. People panicked, and a few broke the window of a coach to jump out,” Bhatia said.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
“The driver applied emergency brakes and the doors were opened, following which passengers got down on the tracks and started walking towards the Metro station. There was no fire and nobody was injured,” he said.
A K Sharma, Director of the Delhi Fire Service, said smoke from a failure in the electrical system caused passengers to panic.
“Five fire tenders were sent to the spot as a precautionary measure. Since the Metro has huge ridership, we have a standard operating procedure which has to be followed in such cases,” Sharma said.
CISF personnel said they received calls from passengers on the helpline numbers put up inside the Metro coaches, following which they alerted the driver to stop and rushed to rescue the commuters.
According to DMRC officials, “people held the support bars and kicked the window to break it.”
“There was a fault in the one of the cables that transfer power from the overhead electrification cable to the Metro. This cable, which passes through a cabinet in the rear coach of the Metro, failed with a loud sound. There was some sparking and smoke, but passengers were at no immediate risk,” a DMRC official said.
Sources said this cable is being replaced on all Metro trains. “The cable by design has a mechanical joint, which can sometimes create a problem like it did today. We want such high-tension cables to be joint-less and we have already begun replacing them on many trains,” the official said.
According to a DMRC spokesperson, services were affected on the line for about 30 minutes.