Thursday, Oct 02, 2014

‘College option’ won’t solve DU over-admission: Principals

Last year, DU had done away with college option. (ARCHIVE) Last year, DU had done away with college option. (ARCHIVE)
Written by Aditi Vatsa | New Delhi | Posted: May 12, 2014 12:39 am

In an attempt to tackle the problem of over-admissions, Delhi University (DU) has re-introduced the ‘college’ option in its admission form. A section of college principals, however, feel that the issue cannot be resolved until the undergraduate process is revamped.

“There is no way of tackling the problem of over-admissions. There is a certain degree of guesswork involved in announcing the cut-offs for admission in undergraduate courses. The only way in which it can be resolved is if every college is allowed to have an independent registration process,” S K Garg, principal of Deen Dayal Upadhyaya College, said.

In 2013, the university had decided to do away with the ‘college’ option on the application form, enabling students to admit themselves to any college of their choice, provided they met the cut-off percentage. This year, DU aspirants can apply for any number of undergraduate courses in as many colleges as they want.

Last year, Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies (SSCBS) had seen around 400 admissions against a sanctioned strength of 46 in BTech, Computer Sciences. Similarly, at 200, College of Vocational Studies had admitted four times the number of its sanctioned seats. From setting up portable cabins to converting canteens and auditoriums into classrooms, the situation had made colleges come up with numerous ways to handle the huge inflow of students.

Some university officials, however, feel that the issue of over-admissions would not have cropped up if the colleges declared their cut-offs after scrutinising applications. “Every college receives CDs, containing details of all applicants, from the university. How is it that some colleges never face this issue while others do? If each college analyses that data to decide cut-offs, instead of relying on Class XII examination results and previous year’s cut-offs, they would not face this problem,” an official said.

SSCBS principal Poonam Verma said the situation might see a slight improvement this year. “We hope that the situation is better than last time. We admitted more than five times the number of students in some courses,” she  said.

comments powered by Disqus
Featured ad: Discount Shopping

Most Popular

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,083 other followers