The restaurant is split into two levels, bound together by the wood-and-metal spiral staircase of dreamy Hollywood sets. The space is dominated by a genteel white shade interspersed with watercolours, potted plants and immense picture windows. There’s also a tiny terrace space, a god-send for those who prefer a little nicotine, either as an aperitif or as a dessert. Eschewing at least this vice, we plant ourselves in the air-conditioned interior of Coast Cafe by Ogaan, and listen to Lana Del Rey telling us it’s All for you. Taking this as our cue, we immerse ourselves in a menu which is rather finite in extent but sounds fab. Apart from a few starters, there are moilees and curries in its small continental section, all of which are reasonably priced.
We decide to be literal and, since it’s a coastal cafe, stick to the sea for our food, the one deviation being Special Chicken Wings No. 1. It does in fact turn out to be a meeting of three friends — with the tender curry leaf marinated wings constituting the delicious third yaar instead of a bottle of whiskey. Divesting the wings of their flesh, we move on to the Original Baja California Tacos with Spicy Grilled Fish. The tacos come as if on an assembly line, the basic body of the taco furnished with the fish and a Radicchio salad, with tomato and chilli chipotle salsa, a yoghurt dip and lime wedges served on the side. The tacos are formidably fresh and taste of the sea without getting brackish, no mean achievement this in land-locked Delhi. Since drinks are deified to side-dish status in this weather, we get the Watermelon Cooler and the Pink Ginger Lemonade, both as refreshing as a cola ad and far, far healthier we reckon.
After doing so well on the appetisers, we decide to take it easy with the mains ordering a Simple Prawn Curry, attended to by Appams. The curry is just as beguiling as its name — simply done with a gravy infused with grated coconut and curry leaves and tender prawns. The accompanying appams are soft pillows which happily embrace the delicate prawn and curry and make for a great meal in this heat. The dessert section is limited at the moment but we suggest you head over for the superlative sea fare. Just remember to swim after an hour.
Meal for two: Rs 1,200 (including taxes, excluding alcohol)
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Address: H 2, Second Floor & Third Floor, Above Ogaan, Hauz Khas Village. Contact: 41601717