The restaurant is split into two levels, bound together by the wood-and-metal spiral staircase of dreamy Hollywood sets. The space is dominated by a genteel white shade interspersed with watercolours, potted plants and immense picture windows. There’s also a tiny terrace space, a god-send for those who prefer a little nicotine, either as an aperitif or as a dessert. Eschewing at least this vice, we plant ourselves in the air-conditioned interior of Coast Cafe by Ogaan, and listen to Lana Del Rey telling us it’s All for you. Taking this as our cue, we immerse ourselves in a menu which is rather finite in extent but sounds fab. Apart from a few starters, there are moilees and curries in its small continental section, all of which are reasonably priced.
We decide to be literal and, since it’s a coastal cafe, stick to the sea for our food, the one deviation being Special Chicken Wings No. 1. It does in fact turn out to be a meeting of three friends — with the tender curry leaf marinated wings constituting the delicious third yaar instead of a bottle of whiskey. Divesting the wings of their flesh, we move on to the Original Baja California Tacos with Spicy Grilled Fish. The tacos come as if on an assembly line, the basic body of the taco furnished with the fish and a Radicchio salad, with tomato and chilli chipotle salsa, a yoghurt dip and lime wedges served on the side. The tacos are formidably fresh and taste of the sea without getting brackish, no mean achievement this in land-locked Delhi. Since drinks are deified to side-dish status in this weather, we get the Watermelon Cooler and the Pink Ginger Lemonade, both as refreshing as a cola ad and far, far healthier we reckon.
After doing so well on the appetisers, we decide to take it easy with the mains ordering a Simple Prawn Curry, attended to by Appams. The curry is just as beguiling as its name — simply done with a gravy infused with grated coconut and curry leaves and tender prawns. The accompanying appams are soft pillows which happily embrace the delicate prawn and curry and make for a great meal in this heat. The dessert section is limited at the moment but we suggest you head over for the superlative sea fare. Just remember to swim after an hour.
Meal for two: Rs 1,200 (including taxes, excluding alcohol)
Address: H 2, Second Floor & Third Floor, Above Ogaan, Hauz Khas Village. Contact: 41601717
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016