The decision on fresh elections Delhi, which has been under President’s rule after the AAP government resigned in February, will be taken by the Centre, sources in the government said.
Sources said as per protocol, Lt-Governor Najeeb Jung will call upon the Prime Minister-designate Narendra Modi after he assumes office and the matter is likely to be one of the first on his agenda.
“The Central government will take a call on elections in Delhi once the Lt-Governor meets the new PM. After that the Lt-Governor will write to the President on the matter. As per procedure, the timing and the go-ahead for fresh polls will have to come from the Centre,’’ an official said.
The capital has been under President’s rule since February 16, a state, which sources said, could be be extended up to a year.
According to sources, the Lt-Governor can also call upon the BJP for government formation before dissolving the Delhi Assembly, which has been kept in suspended animation.
“While the BJP might be called upon to form government, the AAP cannot be called upon to do the same as they have already approached the Supreme Court seeking that the Assembly be dissolved and fresh polls held,’’ the source said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Sources said AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal had met the L-G on Tuesday, and is said to have requested him to keep the Assembly in suspended animation as the AAP had plans to hold jan sabhas on government formation.
Later, the party retracted its decision to hold a referendum saying it wanted fresh elections as the Congress had refused to give it support to form the government.