After much anticipation, the new Mandi House Metro station — part of the ambitious Phase-3 of the Delhi Metro — is ready to open for commuters on Thursday. The Janpath Metro station has also reportedly got the mandatory safety clearance and would be opened for the public shortly.
Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) officials said the Central Secretariat-Mandi House section has received the mandatory safety clearance from the Commissioner of Metro Rail Safety (CMRS) and the line will be opened for commercial services from June 26.
Union Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu, who travelled in the Airport Express line from IGI airport upon his return from Hyderabad on Monday, will inaugurate the Mandi House station and flag off the first Metro train at 9.30 am on Thursday.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
“This entirely underground corridor is 3 kilometres long and consists of two stations — Janpath and Mandi House. Mandi House will provide interchange facility with the currently operational Blue Line from Dwarka Sector 21 to Noida City Centre.
The new line is expected to reduce travel time and ease traffic congestion, especially between South and East Delhi. The Rajiv Chowk Metro station, which presently experiences a high footfall during peak hours on both the Blue Line (Dwarka-Noida) and the Yellow Line (Gurgaon-Jahangirpuri) will benefit as Mandi House is expected to take care of a major chunk of commuters.
The commissioning of the two stations is also expected to reduce road traffic on the stretch between Mandi House and India Gate. According to officials, roads that will benefit the most from the two stations being opened will be Sikandra Road, ITO crossing and Tilak Marg.
The Mandi House station is a part of the extension till Kashmere Gate and will be an interchange station catering to the Blue Line and the Badarpur line.