The Central Secretariat to Mandi House stretch on the Violet Line of the Delhi Metro will be thrown open to the public on Thursday, making commuting much smoother and less time-consuming for more than 70,000 persons who are expected to commute on the stretch.
The two stations — part of Delhi Metro’s phase-III — will be inaugurated by Union Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu, who will flag off the first train from Mandi House at 9.30 am on Thursday. The stretch will be open for use by commuters from 12 noon.
Rajiv Chowk station — an interchange point between Blue line (Dwarka to Noida/Vaishali) and Yellow Line (Jahangirpuri to Gurgaon) — will be the foremost beneficiary once the Central Secretariat-Mandi House becomes operational. A major chunk of commuters at Rajiv Chowk station — which has a daily footfall of at least 5,00,000 — will be taken care of at Mandi House, where the Blue Line will directly meet the Violet Line (Badarpur to Central Secretariat).
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
With these two stations, the triangular route encompassing almost every area in and around Connaught Place — where several important Public Sector Units and multinational corporations are headquartered — will be complete. From tomorrow, CP alone would have six stations — Central Secretariat, Patel Chowk, Rajiv Chowk, Barakhamba Road, Mandi House and Janpath.
“Commuters can now choose the closest Metro station. It is going to be time saving for those travelling between routes on the Blue and the Violet lines. For example, if someone from Dwarka or Noida works in an office in Nehru Place, earlier, the commuter had to go to Rajiv Chowk and board the Yellow line to Central Secretariat. From where, the commuter would take the Violet line to the destination. From tomorrow, they can simply go to Mandi House and take the Violet line. We are expecting about 70,000 people to use Mandi House station and Violet line daily,” a spokesperson for Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) told Newsline.
Though the DMRC is not yet in a position to put an exact figure to passenger load that will be taken off Rajiv Chowk, officials said a major portion of Southwest Delhi and NCR commuters will be taken care of by the new Mandi House exchange point.