Casual and chilling: ‘I made a mistake, what can I do now?’

He registered with Uber three months ago after friends told him about the service being launched in Delhi, police said.

Written by Ananya Bhardwaj | New Delhi | Updated: December 9, 2014 3:27 pm

The 32-year-old Uber driver arrested on Sunday in connection with the rape of a 27-year-old finance company executive has confessed to the crime, police said. Shiv Kumar Yadav has allegedly told investigators, “Galti ho gayi, ab kya karun (I made a mistake, what can I do now)?”

“He is not remorseful. He is unrepentant. Initially, he tried to dodge our questions and gave us wrong information. Later, he confessed to having raped the woman. Initially, he told us that he was in Mathura at the time of the incident,” a senior police officer said.

Police said Yadav has described the route he took to reach the spot where the alleged crime was committed, at the Najafgarh drain, near Inderlok. He has told investigators that he drove from Dhaula Kuan to Naraina, and then via Moti Nagar to Zakhira. At Zakhira, he had noticed that the woman had dozed off, police said.

Yadav had then allegedly turned the car towards the Najafgarh drain, and parked it at a secluded spot. “He told us that he had crossed a police picket on the way, which had made him reconsider his plan, but he had continued driving. Policemen at the picket did not stop him because the woman in the car appeared to be sleeping peacefully in the rear seat. The picket was just a kilometre from the spot of the alleged crime,” an officer said.

Police said that after Yadav allegedly raped the woman and dropped her home, he called up friends in Mathura. He also contacted his family and asked them to pack their belongings, telling them that they would be leaving for Mainpuri, their native village in Uttar Pradesh.

“We had questioned a few drivers in Delhi, and Yadav must have got to know we were looking for him. One of the drivers we questioned must have alerted him. However, our team reached Mathura before he could flee,” another
officer said.

Yadav had been arrested in connection with another rape on December 13, 2011. He was acquitted on July 11, 2012. After his acquittal, he left for his village in Mathura. In 2013, he returned to Delhi and started working as a driver with a private taxi company. He registered with Uber three months ago after a friend told him about the service, police said.

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App

  1. a
    Dec 9, 2014 at 3:46 am
    How about a torture test.
    1. B
      Dec 9, 2014 at 11:10 am
      For this driver it was business as usual.
      1. M
        medicine man
        Dec 9, 2014 at 8:34 am
        what do you expect him to do? he committed a crime, try him, sentence him and be done with it. lets see how long the trial takes, thats whats really important
        1. H
          Dec 9, 2014 at 6:11 pm
          Shame for the police picket; Very clearly, the police picket was @ fault; how come they left the car? what is big deal in waking her up? how come, they didnt check the cab's mandotary requirements,like GPS and other things? Cop's irresponsibility and negligence is evident@ every stage and in every case, more or less; if they had waked her up, then, this tragedy could have been prevented certainly and this criminal should have been got arrested there it self; Limited suion/antition are integral parts of successful police job; Cops again failed and let the crime happened at their door step; these police picket people must be produced in the court of law; let them face court and judges
          1. T
            Dec 9, 2014 at 5:44 am
            The public would like to know on what grounds was he released in 2012 for a similar crime? Why was he not asked to surrender his professional driving licence to prevent recurrence? There is an urgent need to make our legal system strict and enforcing law without discretion.
            1. Load More Comments