A day after a businessman was bludgeoned to death at Shankar Market in Connaught Place, Delhi Police on Thursday claimed to have solved the murder with the arrest of the main accused from East Delhi’s Vivek Vihar area. Police said they are on the lookout for the remaining three accused.
According to police, the victim, Biju Verghese, was murdered after he refused to give the assailants ‘protection money’.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (East) Ajay Kumar said that on Tuesday night, Verghese was beaten to death by the accused in Shankar Market.
- Humanity in Madhya Pradesh shamed again; 10-year-old girl raped, murdered
- Murder of businessman, accountant: Police say accused knew victims had guns
- 23-year-old youth murdered, friend stabbed following road rage in Panchkula
- One murder accused gets police custody, another judicial remand
- Man beaten to death with helmet
- Businessman killed by men who took money from him, say police
“Verghese had left his shop and was going home when the assailants attacked him outside the shop. Initial investigation has revealed the involvement of four persons,” Kumar said.
East District Police received information about one of the accused, Sunny Saiman alias Babe (27).
Acting on a tip-off, they apprehended Sunny near Surajmal park in Vivek Vihar area.
Police said the other accused have been identified as Satish, Saurav and Babu.
“During questioning, Sunny told police that he used to extort money from the shopkeepers but Verghese was refusing to give money. He and his associates had a heated argument with Verghese over this issue, following which they attacked him. While Saurav and Satish held Verghese from behind, Babu punched and kicked him. Sunny then hit him repeatedly on the head with a helmet,” a senior police officer said.
Police said Sunny, who is a driver by profession, has previous criminal record.