Cardiologist Pankaj Gupta and his wife Jyoti had gone to escort their four-year-old daughter Liveshiya to her school bus for what was to be her first day at DPS, Gurgaon. While Jyoti watched from behind the gates of their housing society near Subhash Chowk, Pankaj waited with her at the bus stop.
But fate had something else in store for the family. Moments later, a speeding Haryana Roadways bus ran over Pankaj, a cardiologist with Medanta Medicity in Gurgaon, and Liveshiya as Jyoti watched in horror. Both died on the spot.
Jyoti fainted at the spot. She was rushed to Medanta Medicity.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“She is going in and out of consciousness due to shock,” a family member said.
“It was around 7.30 in the morning. I heard a loud sound. I ran outside the thana to see what happened,” Assistant Sub-inspector Hari Singh of Sadar police station, situated opposite the accident spot, said.
“The driver was speeding and tried to overtake a vehicle from the wrong side. He lost control and ran over the doctor and his daughter. The bus knocked down three poles also. The father died on the spot. We rushed the girl to Medanta Medicity, but she could not be saved,” Singh said.
Police said the driver, 32-year-old Harish who lives in Najafgarh, was immediately arrested, but was given bail later. He was not drunk, police said.
“Only five or 10 minutes before the accident, a whole group of almost 15 children had boarded their school buses. They too could have been crushed had the rogue bus arrived on the scene a little earlier,” a police officer said.
Naresh Trehan, chairman and managing director of Medanta Medicity, said Gupta (45) was a brilliant cardiologist and that he was personally devastated by the loss.
“He had been with me for over 15 years. He was a great human being, a brilliant cardiologist. What happened was extremely unfortunate,” he said.
Liveshiya was the elder of two sisters. The younger one is only six months old.
“Gupta was great at his job. He was a topper at AIIMS, from where he did his MBBS and MD in internal medicine. From there, he joined Escorts Heart Institute in 1993 and did his Diplomate of National Board in Cardiology,” Pranesh Gupta, Pankaj’s cousin who lives in Delhi, said.
“He had been with Trehan ever since his Escorts days. From there, he went to Apollo briefly. He had been with Medanta since the beginning,” he said.
Pankaj was the sole earning member of the family.
“There is a child to support. We are very worried,” P C Gupta (78), Pankaj’s father, said.
Pankaj’s two sisters, Preeti and Ahuti, are both doctors.