Cardiologist Pankaj Gupta and his wife Jyoti had gone to escort their four-year-old daughter Liveshiya to her school bus for what was to be her first day at DPS, Gurgaon. While Jyoti watched from behind the gates of their housing society near Subhash Chowk, Pankaj waited with her at the bus stop.
But fate had something else in store for the family. Moments later, a speeding Haryana Roadways bus ran over Pankaj, a cardiologist with Medanta Medicity in Gurgaon, and Liveshiya as Jyoti watched in horror. Both died on the spot.
Jyoti fainted at the spot. She was rushed to Medanta Medicity.
“She is going in and out of consciousness due to shock,” a family member said.
“It was around 7.30 in the morning. I heard a loud sound. I ran outside the thana to see what happened,” Assistant Sub-inspector Hari Singh of Sadar police station, situated opposite the accident spot, said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“The driver was speeding and tried to overtake a vehicle from the wrong side. He lost control and ran over the doctor and his daughter. The bus knocked down three poles also. The father died on the spot. We rushed the girl to Medanta Medicity, but she could not be saved,” Singh said.
Police said the driver, 32-year-old Harish who lives in Najafgarh, was immediately arrested, but was given bail later. He was not drunk, police said.
“Only five or 10 minutes before the accident, a whole group of almost 15 children had boarded their school buses. They too could have been crushed had the rogue bus arrived on the scene a little earlier,” a police officer said.
Naresh Trehan, chairman and managing director of Medanta Medicity, said Gupta (45) was a brilliant cardiologist and that he was personally devastated by the loss.
“He had been with me for over 15 years. He was a great human being, a brilliant cardiologist. What happened was extremely unfortunate,” he said.
Liveshiya was the elder of two sisters. The younger one is only six months old.
“Gupta was great at his job. He was a topper at AIIMS, from where he did his MBBS and MD in internal medicine. From there, he joined Escorts Heart Institute in 1993 and did his Diplomate of National Board in Cardiology,” Pranesh Gupta, Pankaj’s cousin who lives in Delhi, said.
“He had been with Trehan ever since his Escorts days. From there, he went to Apollo briefly. He had been with Medanta since the beginning,” he said.
Pankaj was the sole earning member of the family.
“There is a child to support. We are very worried,” P C Gupta (78), Pankaj’s father, said.
Pankaj’s two sisters, Preeti and Ahuti, are both doctors.