While all parties indulge in pre-election gimmicks, the one adopted by the Delhi BJP now is rather unusual.
In order to reach out to students ahead of the Delhi University Students’ Union (DUSU) elections, the party is offering free tickets of the latest Priyanka Chopra starrer, Mary Kom.
The Delhi BJP believes that offering free tickets of the movie — a biopic on the life of Indian boxer Mary Kom — may help it garner the support of young voters, not just for the DUSU elections, but also during Assembly polls if fresh elections are held in the capital.
The film has been selected because of its ‘nationalist’ theme, leaders said. The party will prepare a database of students who avail of the free tickets. The students, leaders said, could be asked to help out with the DUSU polls as well as the Assembly elections.
However, BJP leaders have clarified that offering free movie tickets has nothing to do with the elections. In fact, senior leaders said the party was trying to promote nationalist sentiments throught the motivational story of a woman sportsperson who fought all odds to reach her goal.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
“Mary Kom is the pride of the nation and we should encourage our youngsters, especially girls, to take inspiration from it. We will be delighted if we can encourage youth to watch movies that speak about women of our country who have made us proud,” BJP MLA R P Singh said.
But, sources said there is more to the move than meets the eye. The free tickets are valid only for students of Delhi University, who are likely to vote in the upcoming students’ union elections, sources said.
The pamphlets put up in Rajendra Nagar Assembly constituency reads, “Sabhi chhatra chattrayein apna I-card dikhayen aur ‘Mary Kom’ film ki ticket free payen. (All students can show their I-cards and avail of a ticket for ‘Mary Kom’). Also on the posters are the contact numbers of four mandal presidents.
When contacted, one of the mandal president informed that a PVR cinema would be booked for the students if they came in huge numbers.
If not, the free tickets would be given to them and they can watch the movie at their convenience, the mandal president said.